WSS 3.0 Setup for High Protection to a backup site RRS feed

• Question

• I have been looking though a lot of articals lately regarding setting up a WSS 3.0 to backup to a secondary site.   I hvae found the MS notes on teh DB mirroring as well as the lilnks regarding the 3 part notes on the Mirroring by Wbaer.  http://blogs.technet.com/b/wbaer/archive/2007/04/23/sql-server-2005-database-mirroring-and-windows-sharepoint-services-3-0-microsoft-office-sharepoint-server-2007-part-1-introduction-overview-and-basics.aspx

We currently have a setup that is a physical Windows 2003 Server SP2 R2 with SQL 2005 Std. that is running the WSS 3.0 SP2.  We are using Backup Exec to backup using the Sharepoint Agent.  That has been tested OK.  Currently we have 1 server that is both the Web and DB server.

I am looking at the options for setting up a 'Backup site' that would be a VM that I would like to setup a WSS as a backup site (looking at the log shipping or simluar method).  Here is what I have for questions:

Would I setup the Second server with the SQL 2005 and setup the DB log shipping /mirroring as a seperate process then setup that server as a second front end server for the WSS portion?

I have seen different aspects on which databases should be mirrored/log shipped.  Should this be just the content database or should the be all (-search DB)?

If the backup site is setup as just a front end server, with the DB recieving the data mirrored/log shipped from the live system, is it a matter then of just repointing the second FE server to the mirrored database to bring the systems back 'online'?

The key points that we want to reduce when it comes to recovery are:

- Tape drive usage (so that the tape systems can be used to restore other servers

- Manual failover is our current method of configuration that we are looking at.

I am sure that there is something more complcated then that but trying to attack this issue as best fit for the overall solution.

Thanks

A

Adam
    Monday, February 7, 2011 4:06 PM

All replies

• Or is it better to create a new site from scratch, and give it a DR name.

Log ship the live production SQL databaseto the WSS30-DR farm (should all DB be replicated?)

There seems to be a lot of ways of skinning this cat but I also want to follow KISS.

A

Adam
    Monday, February 7, 2011 7:36 PM