Unable to Video Call multiple people in Communicator 2007 R2 - OCS Standard Edition RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I am having an issue where I cannot conference more than one person into a video call session. For instance, I can establish a video call to another user with a webcam where we can see each other and hear audio from each other, however I am unable to add/Invite anyone into that session. the Invite button is grayed out and I cannot drag someone into the session (I just get the circle with the line through it showing it is not a valid action).

What am I missing? I am running OCS 2007 R2 Standard Edition on 2008 Server 64-bit. All other functions of Communicator for doing IM or group/conference IM work well. I applied the April Cumulative Patch when I built the server so if there is a patch outside of that that I need please let me know.

I have saw a couple people with similar circumstances but none have pointed to a solution except one who said their issue was due to the group policy setting that needed to be enabled but I only see a policy that is to disable video call all together and I have that set as Not Configured, plus I can make a peer to peer video call with no issue. Is this a limitation of Standard Edition license or something.

Thanks for the help.

Sunday, July 18, 2010 8:22 PM

Answers

All replies

• Have you configured the Meeting Policy in the OCS Global setting to allow conferencing for your users?  This is not a Group Policy setting, but an actual OCS setting in the OCS Management Console.

See this thread for more details:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/ocsconferencing/thread/6af42d72-bd09-41ac-a046-e42037ce0ae7

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Marked as answer by Jeffy-g Monday, July 19, 2010 7:42 PM
    Monday, July 19, 2010 1:05 PM
  • Hi Jeff, Thanks for the info and the link. I went ahead and reveiwed the Global Properties and under the Meetings tab it is configured to "Allow users to invite anonymous participants" and is set using the Default Policy. The Default Policy is configured to allow up to 10 connections. I do not have Web Conferencing at this point but I went ahead and enabled it to allow Web Conferencing and then selected Enable IP audio and Enable IP video. I then restarted my Communicator client and I get the same situation: I can establish a Video Call to one person but am unable to invite another because the button is grayed out. I must be missing something else. Any other ideas?

Thanks again

Monday, July 19, 2010 2:54 PM
  • Hi there again. I just wanted to pop in and update you that I did what you said as mentioned above and it didn't seem to work but i rebooted and all is working now (go figure). Anyway, I greatly appreciate you helping me out. Thanks!!
    Monday, July 19, 2010 7:42 PM