Request Offerings Permissions errors if the User Input refrences an extended field RRS feed

• Question

• A new problem with my Self Service portal has cropped up recently.  It seems that if a request offering is set to gather user input that is stored in extended fields of a service request, portal end users will get a permissions error when submitting requests.  The Error the End Users get is a red x with the message "Your request could not be submitted."  The SMportaltrace.log error is:

Error,2013-04-03 21:25:32.2717874,Failed to create request.,Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Presentation.DataAccess.DataProviderException: Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Presentation.DataAccess.DataProviderException: The user Domain\User does not have sufficient permission to perform the operation. ---> Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.UnauthorizedAccessEnterpriseManagementException: The user Domain\User does not have sufficient permission to perform the operation.
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.Internal.ConnectorFrameworkConfigurationServiceProxy.ProcessDiscoveryData(Guid discoverySourceId, IList`1 entityInstances, IDictionary`2 streams, ObjectChangelist`1 extensions)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ConnectorFramework.IncrementalDiscoveryData.CommitInternal(EnterpriseManagementGroup managementGroup, Guid discoverySourceId, Boolean useOptimisticConcurrency)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.EnterpriseManagementObjectProjection.CommitInternal(Guid discoverySourceId, Boolean useOptimisticConcurrency)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.EnterpriseManagementObjectProjection.CommitInternal(Boolean useOptimisticConcurrency)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceManager.Portal.DataProviders.CreateRequestProvider.CreateRequest(TemplateReader requestDataObject)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Presentation.DataAccess.DataProviderCommandMethod.Invoke(CoreDataGateway gateWay, DataCommand command)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Presentation.DataAccess.CoreDataGateway.Execute(DataCommand command)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Presentation.DataAccess.Server.DataAccessService.Execute(TransportDataCommand command)
       at SyncInvokeExecute(Object , Object[] , Object[] )
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.SyncMethodInvoker.Invoke(Object instance, Object[] inputs, Object[]& outputs)
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DispatchOperationRuntime.InvokeBegin(MessageRpc& rpc)
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage5(MessageRpc& rpc)
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage31(MessageRpc& rpc)
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.MessageRpc.Process(Boolean isOperationContextSet)

I have catalog groups for requests and service offerings that are dynamically populated once a request offering or Service Offering status is set to Published.  I also have an end user portal role that is based off of the out of box end user role that has my catalog item groups associated with it.  Any ideas as to what would be causing this error?

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 10:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

With your SCSM Admin account you are able to submit this request without any problem ?

Best Regards Rémy BOVI

Monday, April 8, 2013 1:05 PM
  • Yes I am able to submit with my admin account.  After doing some more digging I was able to track this issue back to Knowledge articles of all things.  Basically if a KB article is attached to a SR template that is used for portal requests, a user with only End User Portal Roles will not be able to create them.  This is because when a KB is added to a work-item the system links the KB article to it as well.  You can see this in the history tab of a KB article.  This seems to be a poor design as it is helpful to include a KB article for our Service Request Analysts.  I have removed the related KB articles from the service requests for now.  I am investigating what extra role I will need to give to our Domain Users in order to be able to include the related KB articles.
    Monday, April 8, 2013 2:55 PM