Outlook preview MSRA invitation as text "no previewer installed" (for Remote Assistance) RRS feed

• Question

• After a crash, I now have a new laptop. In Outlook now, I can no longer preview the raw contents (text) of an invitation.mscrincident file sent to me via email. Do you know how I can get this functionality back ?

i.e. I'm fairly certain I had made an adjustment at some point in the past to allow this.

Using Outlook with Preview Pane open, click once on attachment showed the text of it in the preview area (in place of the message text) . Double-click the attachment would open as normal in MS Remote Assistance.

This is extremely useful to check if the user is getting an IP in the expected range (see attached pic) - right there in Outlook without having to save the attachment first then open in a text editor. Saves wasting time on trying to connect unsuccesfully multiple times if they got an unrouteable IP.

It's the same 2010 version of Outlook (32 bits) I am using. Now on 64bit Win10, old laptop was 32bit Win 7. The Preview is working for other attachments (more common ones, images, xls, etc)

I compared the old registry hive "PreviewHandlers" has the same dozen or so entries. In Outlook Trust Center, the preview is NOT disabled (see the list of preview handlers in attached pic). I do not remember if it was a reg tweak or an outlook addon ?

• Edited by OttIT Friday, September 16, 2016 5:12 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2016 5:09 PM

Answers

• I found it.
    Run regedit as administrator and find  

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.msrcincident
    Add a new "String Value" = PerceivedType with its Data = text

Now the invitations preview as text in Outlook's reading pane and in Windows File Explorer, yet they still react to a double click per normal to open in Remote Assistance.

• Marked as answer by OttIT Tuesday, January 3, 2017 9:52 PM
    Tuesday, January 3, 2017 9:52 PM

All replies

• Additional info:The text of invites used to be visible in the Windows Explorer preview pane as well. I can still see .txt files there, but I get "No preview avaialble" for the invites.  
    Friday, September 16, 2016 5:17 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my testing, the invitation.mscrincident file cannot be previewed in my Outlook 2016 and in Windows Explorer preview pane in Windows 10. As some preview handlers are installed along when you install some third-party software, I suspect that you installed some programs that makes the invitation.mscrincident file previewable.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 19, 2016 6:57 AM
  • Yes, it's not default.

"I'm fairly certain I had made an adjustment at some point in the past to allow this. "

I need to find this tweak again ;)

Monday, September 19, 2016 1:19 PM
  • Thank you for the update.

I've researched on this issue for a long time but I haven't found any method to achieve this goal.

If the old computer is still working, you may try to monitor what registry entry is invoked when previewing the invitation.mscrincident file.

Thanks,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Monday, September 26, 2016 9:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steve Fan Friday, September 30, 2016 9:32 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by OttIT Tuesday, January 3, 2017 9:52 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by OttIT Tuesday, January 3, 2017 9:54 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2016 2:49 AM
  • I found it.
    Run regedit as administrator and find  

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.msrcincident
    Add a new "String Value" = PerceivedType with its Data = text

Now the invitations preview as text in Outlook's reading pane and in Windows File Explorer, yet they still react to a double click per normal to open in Remote Assistance.

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 9:52 PM