none
Cannot upgrade Windows 7 in Chinesse to English or Spanish RRS feed

• Question

• Desaffortunately I buy a net book with a WIndows 7 in chinnese version, I want to change to english or spanish language but it's really dificult, I tried your last comments but it's different in my machine and it's dificult to recognize chinese character, do someone help me.

Best regards,

Padawan AZ

Sunday, October 25, 2009 7:42 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

The only versions of Windows 7 that comes with the MUI Language Packs is Windows 7 Ultimate or Enterprise.

Whatever version you may have you might want to consider using the Anytime Upgrade to get the Ultimate version.

Windows 7 features - Windows Anytime Upgrade

Upgrade to another edition of Windows 7 by using Windows Anytime Upgrade

Windows Anytime Upgrade - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

STEP  BY STEP WITH SCREENSHOTS

The Windows Anytime Upgrade Experience for Windows 7

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, October 26, 2009 7:03 AM
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 12:45 PM
  • Yes, as Ronnie says, Language Packs are only available for Windows 7 Ultimate and Enterprise. Here is additional information:

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/springboard/archive/2009/08/25/windows-7-language-packs-available.aspx

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:11 AM
    Monday, October 26, 2009 7:03 AM
  • I studied my problem with the answer and comments but I don´t believe that I have to buy a WIndows Anytime Upgrade for Windows Ultimate or Enterprise for my netbook HP Mini with Windows 7 home starter/basic edition. will it buy only for english language?.

What is your coments about the following alternatives? :

1.- To install a LIP from the Microsoft Web site, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd799270(WS.10).aspx
    2.- To talk with HP International. In my country Peru, HP technician assistant told me that they can´t do nothing because it is a HP chinnese product and it isn´t a HP Latinameric Product and recomend me to go with some technician from Peru.
    3.- Install a Windows XP.
    4.- To buy a New Windows 7 Profesional.
    5.- To buy a New English Windows 7 Home Basic edition.
    6.- To cry.

Best regards,

Padawan AZ

Sunday, November 1, 2009 1:59 AM
  • Get an OEM Home Premium license for the language you want, and install it over the current operating system. They should be available by now, and will be easier to mess with than attempting to run Ultimate on a netbook. The OEM is cheaper than the upgrade, which you don't qualify for anyway.

Since you are not in the US, you may be able to find an OEM Home Basic license, but I have no idea on that since I'm in the US. I'm going to guess that might be difficult, and Home Premium shouldn't tax your netbook any worse than basic.

One word of warning - be sure you track down ALL of the drivers on your system before you blow away the OS. You may or may not be able to download them from HP.

Second word of warning - once you install the new OS, you will very likely be on your own in terms of warranty. I highly doubt HP will honor it, even if it's clearly hardware related.

Lastly, there is a slim chance your activation key MIGHT work if you could install an OEM copy of Home Basic in English or Spanish. I'll let a Microsoft person tell you if your Chinese OEM key will activate an English/Spanish OEM install. Assuming it can, you can get a copy of OEM Home Basic to install fairly easily.

It's a little known secret that all Windows 7 DVD's can install any version - but default to a specific version based on a configuration file. If you have the resources to modify and burn a DVD, you can take a standard OEM disk, remove the ei.cfg file, reburn it -and the installer will let you install any version. In this case, you want to install Home Basic. There are tutorials on the web do to this.

The trouble is, you may or may not be able to get the DVD without buying the license. I'm not sure if you can get replacement DVD's for OEM editions or not. If you end up having to buy a license for Home Premium, you might as well just use it - and replace the original license. I would NOT recommend getting an ISO off of the Internet - those usually come preinstalled with malware.

At the very least, it's worth a shot.
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 2:50 AM