ADFS, WAP 2016 Farm - Loadbalancer recommondations, requirements RRS feed

• Question

• Are there some recommendations regarding loadbalancers in AD FS and WAP Farms?

Is there any limitation regarding numbers of users and performance of Windows NLB?

Can I use Windows NLB in ADFS environments with more the 10000 users? 

I read about disadvantages of Windows NLB windows-nlb-wnlb-and-its-disadvantages (ok, thats from another loadbalancer manufacturer), is Windows NLB still recommended?

Thursday, October 19, 2017 12:49 PM

All replies

• The load balancer should be SNI capable, thats the only thing I know about laod balancing recommendations.

I'm not sure if Windows NLB is SNI capable.

Thursday, October 19, 2017 1:40 PM
  • Windows NLB works at the transport level, so it is agnostic of everything above. This is why it is somehow a bit difficult to use because it requires a lot of manual operations. You will have to manual drain and stop nodes when you turn off or patch the service. The NLB is not aware whether or not the service is running, it just cares about the IP stack being up. So, if you can or if you already have one in your organization, I would look at a Hardware Load Balancing instead. Or if your machine are VMs in IaaS (Azure) you can use the load balancing capabilities on the virtual network there (no additional charge as far as I know).

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Thursday, October 19, 2017 3:44 PM