Local Drafts folder RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone answer why SharePoint local drafts will sometimes save the file to the root of the SharePoint Drafts folder (i.e. C:\Users\[username]\Documents\SharePoint Drafts\myfile.docx), and other times create a complete folder structure representing the full URL path to the file (i.e. C:\Users\[username]\Documents\SharePoint Drafts\sharepoint.myco.com\sites\projectsite\library\folder\myfile.docx)?  I have a SharePoint user with two document libraries in the same site.  Libraries have the same exact configuration (settings, versioning etc).  In one library when they checkout and edit the file is placed in the root, in the second it’s placed in the detailed folder structure.  Neither location exceeds the 255 character limit.

We’re on Windows 7, SharePoint 2010, Office 2010.  We did an Office repair earlier and both of these have happened post repair.

Any insight is appreciated- we're having a larger problem and this seems to be one piece of the puzzle we're hoping will get us to a bigger fix.  Also, it's not just this one user, I've had it happen personally as well.

Thank you

• Edited by Kristy_S Monday, January 5, 2015 9:50 PM bad character
    Monday, January 5, 2015 9:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, your SharePoint local drafts has two locations.

Unless your administrator has changed the location, your local drafts folder can be found at C:\users\%username%\documents\sharepoint drafts.

For more information, refer to the article:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/check-documents-in-and-out-with-sharepoint-2010.html

You can change the location of your local drafts folder where your files are placed while they are checked out to you in Office system program: click “Microsoft Office Button”>select “Word Options”>select “Save”>in Offline editing options for document management server files> in Server drafts location box, type the location on your hard disk where you want to work with checked-out files, or click Browse and find the location.

For detailed information, refer to the blog:

http://techtrainingnotes.blogspot.com/2013/03/sharepoint-change-default-for-my-local.html

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Lisa Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 2:00 AM