none
Outage Planning RRS feed

• Question

• I am seeking information/templates for outage planning.  Specifically in a chemical plant.  I have no experience in this area and am trying to come up to speed quickly on the process.  Any and all information is very much appreciated.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 3:29 PM

Answers

• No shortcuts here I'm afraid as no template or process from anywhere else is likely to be of any relevance to your outage.

1) Detail all jobs that need doing during the outage.

2) Create work orders that detail the tasks that need doing, probably in 15 minute chunks

3) schedule the work

4) Optimize it.

If this is a big shut with high cost per hour of shutdown, get an experienced planner involved, ideally one that knows your plant. Typically the potential extra cost of a poorly planned shut means only experienced planners should be used. Reads like someone has tried to cut costs, thrown you in the deep end with a large weight around your neck in the hope of a miracle. CYA time I think!

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

• Proposed as answer by John - Project Thursday, September 13, 2012 3:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by BlueAngel42 Thursday, September 13, 2012 8:49 PM
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 10:07 AM

All replies

• No shortcuts here I'm afraid as no template or process from anywhere else is likely to be of any relevance to your outage.

1) Detail all jobs that need doing during the outage.

2) Create work orders that detail the tasks that need doing, probably in 15 minute chunks

3) schedule the work

4) Optimize it.

If this is a big shut with high cost per hour of shutdown, get an experienced planner involved, ideally one that knows your plant. Typically the potential extra cost of a poorly planned shut means only experienced planners should be used. Reads like someone has tried to cut costs, thrown you in the deep end with a large weight around your neck in the hope of a miracle. CYA time I think!

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

• Proposed as answer by John - Project Thursday, September 13, 2012 3:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by BlueAngel42 Thursday, September 13, 2012 8:49 PM
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 10:07 AM
  • Rod,

Spoken like a guy who's been there. Excellent outline.

John

Thursday, September 13, 2012 3:43 PM
  • Thanks for the information and sympathy.  Yes, am in full CYA mode.
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 8:51 PM
  • Agreed. A chem plant shut down is not something where you can just grab a template. it is very, VERY plant specific. You need an experienced planner and then SEVERAL engineers from your plant to site in a room and map this out for several weeks. You close valves in the wrong order on one of these things and everyone is dead.

If you dont already know how to do this shut down then you need to just watch. Seriously, this is a big deal. :-)

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Friday, September 14, 2012 2:40 AM
  • I am seeking information/templates for outage planning.  Specifically in a chemical plant.  I have no experience in this area and am trying to come up to speed quickly on the process.  Any and all information is very much appreciated.

BlueAngel,

I would suggest you post your question on a focused group such as Shutdown, Turnaround and Outage Management group on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Shutdown-Turnaround-Outage-Management-1801834/ or some other groups on the Planning Planet: http://www.planningplanet.com

If you decide to use MS Project as a Planning & Scheduling tool in your Outage Planning & Scheduling work and start doing so, then pls come back for further questions on MS Project.

Templates may provide hints on what to do but not how to do.

I wish you the very best of luck in your Outage Planning & Scheduling career. 

Regards.

Friday, September 14, 2012 9:41 AM