none
could not start microsoft hypervisor host service RRS feed

• Question

• I cannot start Microsoft Hypervisor host service on my local computer .

when i trying to start the service i see the follwoing message :

" Windows could not start the HV host Service on local computer . Error 31 : A device attached to the system is not functioning "

i was working yesterday !!! and nothing changed in BIOS settings .

can any one help me to solve this issue :) 

Thanks

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 8:17 AM

All replies

• I had the identical problem and was fortunately able to fix it. In my case at least, all I needed to do was to remove Hyper-V using control panel, restart Windows,  reinstall all Hyper-V components and restart Windows. I found that now the HV Host service was already running; it could not even be started manually before these changes. Hyper-V Manager now seems to work correctly although some old virtual machines I had created seem to be incompatible. I plan to create new virtual machines to insure that this "fix" is complete.

Some obvious tips: make Restore Points so you can reverse any problems; make full system backups in case you are unable to fire up Windows; and make a Windows Recovery Disk to ensure you can boot into a recovery environment.

Good luck!

• Proposed as answer by dscw Thursday, April 14, 2016 12:17 AM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:22 AM
  • Follow up: I just created a new virtual machine (using the free Macrium viBoot, which uses Hyper-V). The new virtual machine came up instantly and functions as expected, as does Hyper-V now.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:41 AM
  • Go to control panel, then look on the left and click  Turn Windows Features on or off. Scrool and look for Hyper V. Put a check mark and click okay. It will turn on the feature and ask to restart the systems. You are good.
    Tuesday, October 31, 2017 3:46 PM