none
CAN SOMEONE HELP ME WITH GETTING FIXED TOTAL SLACK AND THEREFORE CRITICAL PATH?!?! RRS feed

• Question

• It's really important to me cause I have to hand in my project in college but I have a major problem (Im from Poland btw).

I have created tasks and subtasks but I found it impossible to create a critical path because I don't have critical task. I know why- the total slack is the cause. But I can't fix it anyhow. I look at the project and see that even if the main task last from f.ex. 09/21- 10/29 the total slack is still huge. Don't know what is the cause. Can someone be that good and try to help? It's really of grave importance. I can maybe do some printscreen or send someone the proj via mail. I think that for someone who actually knows the MS Proj it will take 5 minutes. PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks in advance for your answers.

Regards,

Mike

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 1:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• Mike,

There are a ton of different reasons why slack would be present in the schedule.  It could be from lags, constraints, relationships with other tasks, or a combination of any of these.  Defining the critical path is the achilles heel of MS Project.  It defines a task as critical by the slack only.  Whereas the true definition of critical path is the longest path through the network diagram.  There are add-ins available that will define the true critical path.  The one that comes to mind is from ProjectPro Corp in Canada. 

As to your immediate problem, I don't believe it is simply a matter of reviewing the file, although I would be happy to do so.  For example, I could look at it and wonder why there are constraints, when in fact those constraints my be required.  You can send the file to the e-mail address below:

Regards,

Gregg

p8llc (at) comcast (dot) net

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 6:26 PM
  • Just switch to Detail Gantt View, I believe you'll be able to see the critical path there.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 8:00 PM
  • First walk through your task links (you do have all tasks linked with no date constraints?) right through to the project finish date. Is the flow logical? Does it communicate the sequence of events that need to happen?

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 8:32 PM
  • Could be something simple like a task somewhere that is scheduled way in the future, also check the project end date in project information tab.

May allso be worth switching on critical filter to see what that shows.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:25 AM
  • if total slack is huge, it may be because MS-Project is calculating the slack to the end of the project.  I would suggest that you pin the end date of the last task with a "Must Finish" constraint.  This will force a total slack computation that you might find more reasonable.
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 2:00 PM
  • Hello templarious,

Have you figured it out ? Pls post for feedback.

Regards.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 5:52 AM