Stable anti-virus for windows 7 beta 1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,
    Is anyone using an antivirus that is fairly stable on windows 7. I tried Symantec endpoint protection but it produced too many blue screens. I also tried Norton 360 2009 but for some reason it doesn't want to update virus definitions. So if you know of an AV thats running great on windows 7 please let me know. Thanks

Matt
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 4:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• There are a number of threads on this subject already. Avast and AVG are a couple of free versions that work. 
    • Marked as answer by kasmatt2000 Thursday, March 19, 2009 5:55 AM
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 4:21 PM
  • Avira from www.free-av.com works for me.
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 6:20 PM
  • forget all there is only one perfect anti-virus/firewall etc. check it out: www.eset.com
    • Proposed as answer by Zulqarnain Zafar Wednesday, March 18, 2009 7:55 PM
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 7:53 PM
  • kasmatt2000 said:

Hi guys,
    Is anyone using an antivirus that is fairly stable on windows 7...

Matt;

I've tried three so far.  All of them worked fine... after I applied the fix referred to here.  Before I'd done that... It was a trip down memory lane with all the BSOD's.

hth,
    -Craig
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 4:48 PM
  • Hey Matt- Here is a list of anti-virus solutions that will work with Windows 7: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/antivirus-partners/windows-7.aspx
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    Windows Outreach Team
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, March 20, 2009 3:56 AM
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 10:47 PM
  • Avast is the best FREE Antivirus u can get and works well with 7
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 2:21 AM
  • McAfee Internet Security Suite 2009 Works just fine if you install in compatibility mode for Windows Vista the installer included, it works as good as the rest.
    It does cost money... It has all the essentials though.
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 5:14 AM
  • Hi guys,
    Is anyone using an antivirus that is fairly stable on windows 7. I tried Symantec endpoint protection but it produced too many blue screens. I also tried Norton 360 2009 but for some reason it doesn't want to update virus definitions. So if you know of an AV thats running great on windows 7 please let me know. Thanks

Matt

F-Prot anti-Virus 6.0.9.1 is the best anti-Virus on Windows Vista 32bit 64bit, Windows7 32bit 64bit , Serious The other famous ones like I don't wanna mention the Names, I think everyone knows them, each one took 4, 5 hours to scan my PC, But this one finished the job in 20 minutes plus it dedected some high risk
    viruses which the others missed , it is complete install and forget anti-virus, fast updates, small footprint and %100 dedection rate. they got so many awards by virus bulleting last year they won it as well,  here is the Link http://www.f-prot.com/
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 9:39 PM
  • kasmatt2000 said:

Hi guys,
    Is anyone using an antivirus that is fairly stable on windows 7...

Matt;

I've tried three so far.  All of them worked fine... after I applied the fix referred to here.  Before I'd done that... It was a trip down memory lane with all the BSOD's.

hth,
    -Craig
    I have tried all anti-virus software on all OS but in the end I found the Best One, if you dont believe Try F-PROT 6.0.9.1 is by far  superior the rest at the moment. try it I Promise you will Love it and stick with for a long time, here is the Link http://www.f-prot.com/
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 9:54 PM
  • Hi,

I am using Mcafee Total Protection Beta for the past one month.  It is extremely stable.
    No Blue screen or system, so far.

Saturday, April 11, 2009 4:19 PM
  • Only one worth even looking at is NOD32 made by ESET company...    http://www.eset.com
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 4:29 PM
  • I got blue screen after using Kaspersky's claimed 7-compatible trial... wondering if there's any one having such problem
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 9:25 AM
  • Try this one,so far no problems at all, it's good

http://www.f-prot.com/
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 6:28 PM
  • I'm using AVG free. No issues at all.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 8:20 PM
  • I using Norton Internet Security 2009 with Norton Add-on Pack 3.5. I also tested Norton 360 v 3.0.
    Chers Paweł Nyczaj
    • Proposed as answer by JustOld Friday, April 24, 2009 11:37 AM
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 7:58 PM
  • I use kasperski 2009 suite and is ok

Friday, April 24, 2009 11:38 AM
  • I have discovered that all of the partner Anti-virus programs do not work very well because they tax the system and add features that make them do a lot of things poorly, I have been using Protector Plus 2009 untill I upgraded to the RC, now I am getting errors on how the program reports the security center. So I have tried F-Prot and it seems to work well with out any errors reported from some of the desktop gadgets that I develop that use activex to change volume from the Windows7 Desktop Experience.

Lorne L. Reap
    Friday, April 24, 2009 8:09 PM
  • NOD32 4.0 or Avast Home is most recommended..Couple it with MalwareBytes + Spyware doctor
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 7:16 PM
  • As much as I like Eset's products, and Eset Smart Security worked with Windows 7 beta, it has struggled with the release candidate. I was having recurring problems with overly aggressive security all weekend and I couldn't get them resolved.  I could't always get to my network drives, the Windows Home Server console was painfully slow, I couldn't restore Home Server backups, and a variety of apps that required either network or internet access were slow (or in a couple cases non-functional).    The Adobe Illustrator CS3 updater, as an example, hung in the middle of installing updates until I disabled Eset Smart Security 4.  Last but not least, Windows Home Server (and a couple times the Windows notification system) periodically flagged the program as having stopped working or as reporting that its virus definitions were out of date. 

I switched to Avast this morning and performance has improved and all the problems have gone away.  I still like Eset but it is not quite ready yet.  BTW, I know someone will likely come back and say it works for them.  That is undoubtedly the case for some but there are some setups such as mine where it has struggled....

Stephen
    Monday, May 4, 2009 5:59 PM
  • i was using trend micro 2009 but crashed many times with blue screen. not good
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 9:14 AM
  • Aye it is so good that on a customers machine just yesterday I removed over 1000 viruses with Avira that Nod32 had missed.

Use www.free-av.com avira personal. It has a 98 % effectiveness whilst something like Nod32 has only a 32%.

Most of the others arent worth it as their detection rates are too low on the heuristic side including avast and avg.

Avira is running without a problem on Beta 7.
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 10:52 AM
  • PC tools Antivirus, version 2009 (6.0.0.19) work fine at my IBM Thinkpad Laptop 2887-K2G.
    It's free of use.
    Check at http://www.pctools.com/en/
    /Norpan
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 5:23 PM
  • i installed windows 7 rc virtually and i cannot get a fre antivirus program to install. It keeps asking "how do you want to open this file"?

any suggestions?

robin
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 5:39 PM
  • Comodo Internet Security works fine for my.  I test in Win7 64 Bits.
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 7:22 PM
  • i think i found the problem and it is with ie8.
    I installed firefox 3.0 and found that when it downloaded avira or avg free versions it had no problem with the install.
    It showed the icon of the program and it completely installed.

But when downloading it with ie8 it showed it as an "empty" application and would not do a thing

robin
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 11:01 PM
  • I am using Kaspersky with no issues just yet.
    Only annoying thing is the constant pop-ups

Norton Internet Security 2009 doesn't work fully in Windows 7 32-bit .
    There is compatibility issues with the Heuristic/Sonar.
    So, you might get the following message "Driver blocked due to incompatiblity.  A driver is installed that causes stability problems with your system.  This driver is disabled.  Please contact the driver manufacturer for an update that is compabile with this version of Windows".

It work fine on the 64-bit version.

Symantec is working to have BETA of both NIS 2009 and Norton 360 soon. They are not providing activation keys just yet.
    Is available from the link posted on the Windows 7 security software providers page.
    • Edited by jojesa Wednesday, May 6, 2009 2:02 AM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 1:39 AM
  • Symtanec has released Windows 7 compatible versions of Norton Internet Security Suite 2009 and Norton 360

http://community.norton.com/norton/board?board.id=Win7Beta
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 11:10 PM
  • Matt, I got the same problem with Dr.Web, but the free version of AVIRA works fine
    Klaus
    Monday, May 18, 2009 11:07 AM
  • Avg free works okay......
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 1:52 AM
  • Hi Man..

the AVG is the best one for Win 7 ...

Regards

Thursday, May 21, 2009 4:49 AM
  • Some Tips 4 u all
    AVG Very slow,and tried it and slows down startup time,kapersky windows 7 beta make pc run slow and crashes alot,try bitdefender 2010 beta
    - 32b: http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/desktop/total...
    - 64b: http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/desktop/total...
    Norton isnt out yet,2010 beta and Going to try mcafee 2010 beta and Panda 2010 beta and bullguard 2010 beta,ill keep u informed
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 9:15 PM
  • See pic below I am Blue screen free.

Thanks,  brian

Saturday, June 27, 2009 2:03 AM
  • how did you get norton 2010 beta,if that is it,as you canot click on the links
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 5:55 PM
  • i finaly downloaded it and went to install it but it doesnt install anything,i dont have 2009 or do i need that,plz help
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 6:40 PM
  • Only one worth even looking at is NOD32 made by ESET company...    http://www.eset.com
     Totally agree. ESET Smart Security is the best anti-virus full compatible with Windows 7. And it was not made for it.
    • Proposed as answer by Guilherme Zé Wednesday, July 8, 2009 12:36 PM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 12:13 PM
  • NOD32 4.0 or Avast Home is most recommended..Couple it with MalwareBytes + Spyware doctor

You Cant use more than 1 Anti-virus. Especially with Eset nod32. OMG. don't be an newb.
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 12:15 PM
  • I have discovered that all of the partner Anti-virus programs do not work very well because they tax the system and add features that make them do a lot of things poorly, I have been using Protector Plus 2009 untill I upgraded to the RC, now I am getting errors on how the program reports the security center. So I have tried F-Prot and it seems to work well with out any errors reported from some of the desktop gadgets that I develop that use activex to change volume from the Windows7 Desktop Experience.

Lorne L. Reap

F prot is ok but try Eset smart security. best option
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 12:16 PM
  • Hi guys,

Matt

Yes - Norton 360 latest version runs perfectly with Win 7 64 bit!
    I had major problems when I installed Norton 360 - around 60 blue screens over a 12 hour period that had me tearing what is left of my hair out. However, when I looked behind the current window, I found one hiding there in which Norton was asking me to go to their website to solve the problem at 1 click.  So I did and it did. Now Win 7 runs perfectly with Norton 360 on board.

Why the latest window does not always open on top I do not know, but perhaps its because each programmer thinks that his program is most important. I noticed this problem with other programs on win 7 - the screen stops working and its because the active screen wants an answer but is invisible. Is this a peculiarity of Win 7 - or is it just me?
    hwalker1
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 5:45 AM
  • After installing Bitdefender internet security 2010 my PC automatically went on to startup repair and after that, win7 is not recognizing mouse or keyboard /any
    not even in safe mode. if anyone is having solution, please tell me.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:01 PM