8.3 file names RRS feed

• Question

• jrv,

I saw your reply about 8.3 names not being created in Win10 and later. I surmised that my laptop was working because I had upgraded from Win8. I decided that if I'm going to try to keep my skills current by answering forum questions that I better install VMWare player and build myself the relevant OS VM's.

I built a Win10 Pro VM, and I must be missing something because it sure looks likes 8.3 file names are created by default. Is this something that is coming in a future update?

Please delete this post if you feel it is inappropriate. 

-Dave

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 7:58 PM

Answers

• This is volume dependent on W10.  My C is enabled but my add-on D is not.

Some images that are newer do not have C enabled by default.  The system I tested was upgraded from W8.1. One system that was installed clean from W10 does not have W10 enabled and the image was a very new one downloaded from the MSDN partner site.

Using "dir /x" is the easiest way to test this by volume.

\_(ツ)_/

• Marked as answer by MotoX80 Wednesday, November 28, 2018 8:45 PM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2018 8:08 PM

All replies

• This is volume dependent on W10.  My C is enabled but my add-on D is not.

Some images that are newer do not have C enabled by default.  The system I tested was upgraded from W8.1. One system that was installed clean from W10 does not have W10 enabled and the image was a very new one downloaded from the MSDN partner site.

Using "dir /x" is the easiest way to test this by volume.

\_(ツ)_/

• Marked as answer by MotoX80 Wednesday, November 28, 2018 8:45 PM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2018 8:08 PM

• Using "dir /x" is the easiest way to test this by volume

I agree.  And since I saw this in JT65's post:

ShortPath        : C:\PROGRA~3\Hunt\INSTAL~1

...he was getting an 8.3 name from somewhere. He needed to examine his file system with dir /x to see that the 8.3 name was getting created. As you point out, Windows does create the 8.3 names on certain drives.  

And a better question would be "why the heck to do you need the 8.3 names in the first place?".  

We can put this to rest. If JT65 has any more problems, he'll be back.

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 8:42 PM
  • Here's a system installed at Windows 7 and upgraded to 10:

C:\>fsutil 8dot3name query
    The registry state is: 1 (Disable 8dot3 name creation on all volumes).

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange Ex-MVP (16 years)

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 8:43 PM
  • 8.3 will disappear in the next version of Windows along with CMD.EXE and other legacy bits.

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 9:03 PM
  • Hopefully WSL will still be available. Powershell's nice, but sometimes you just need "cut". :-)

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 10:16 PM
  • WSL?  What is wissle?  Do you mean WSH?  Yes that is on the list to go.

Or is it Linux support.  Linux support is fairly new and should be here for a while.

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 10:29 PM
  • I will be surprised if cmd.exe goes away. MS will run into the same problem that IBM has run into with COBOL. There is too much of an installed base that uses the (albeit outdated) technology. They will have to call it New Windows (with apologies to Coca-Cola) or something else. If you are a business with millions of lines of code invested into a given technology, you will need a compelling reason to get them to invest the funds to migrate to a new platform. 
    Thursday, November 29, 2018 12:16 AM
  • I think you will be surprised.  It has been deprecated for years.  PowerShell is its replacement and has been for 10 years now.  Anything you can do in batch can be done in PowerShell and done more easily.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, November 29, 2018 12:45 AM
  • WSL == Windows Subsystem for Linux.

Thursday, November 29, 2018 3:29 AM
  • Yes - "wisle" or "wilix"

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, November 29, 2018 3:36 AM