Exchange 2010 "DPM encountered a retryable VSS error" RRS feed

• Question

• We have an 8 member Exchange 2010 DAG, evenly split between two sites.  Each site has it's own DPM server protecting that site's databases with full backups, and the other sites databases with copy backups.  We are consistently seeing some but not all protected databases on some but not all servers failing to create recover points with the following error:

"Creation of recovery points for EX11M11 on ex11 have failed. The last recovery point creation failed for the following reason: (ID: 3114) DPM encountered a retryable VSS error. (ID: 30112)"

When this occurs I'm seeing the following two errors in the Application Log of the mailbox server hosting the database that failed to have a recovery point created for it:

MSExchangeIS 9609 "Exchange VSS Writer (instance f3b22f2c-c697-4b39-81c9-8906e8b4f741) failed with error code 1296 when preparing for Snapshot. "

- and -

VSS 8229: A VSS writer has rejected an event with error 0x800423f3, The writer experienced a transient error.  If the backup process is retried,

the error may not reoccur.

. Changes that the writer made to the writer components while handling the event will not be available to the requester. Check the event log for related events from the application hosting the VSS writer. 

Operation:

PrepareForSnapshot Event

Context:

Execution Context: Writer

Writer Class Id: {76fe1ac4-15f7-4bcd-987e-8e1acb462fb7}

Writer Name: Microsoft Exchange Writer

Writer Instance Name: Exchange Information Store

Writer Instance ID: {50adb0cd-58e4-4c8f-8f1e-ffcd010fc352}

Command Line: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\bin\store.exe"

When this occurs for a particular database, subsequent recovery points are also not created.  I have to manually run a consistency check to get things working again, but the database may or may not again in the future have the same problem reoccur.  We are at Exchange 2010 UR3 on the mailbox servers and on the DPM servers.

When I check the VSS writers on the mailbox server using "vssadmin list writers", all writers are in a stable state and report no errors.

What's going on here, and what can I do to troubleshoot this issue?  All mailbox servers are the exact same hardware/software configuration, as are the DPM servers.  We have some servers that have never had a problem at all.  All servers (Exchange and DPM) are running Server 2008 R2.

• Moved by Praveen D [MSFT] Monday, July 19, 2010 6:34 AM Moving to DPM Exchange Protection Forum (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Friday, July 2, 2010 4:48 PM

Answers

• Hello Jason,

We have not seen those before in the DPM Support team, so I would start with engaging the the MS Exchange 14 support team and have them enable Exchange Writer logging to get more details surrounding those errors.  

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, July 2, 2010 5:40 PM