Windows Updates for laptops in charge carts - Education Environment RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning all,

I have a question that might not be possible, but I figured why not give it a shot.  I manage a school technology department where we have numerous carts filled with laptops.  They're standard charge carts, all laptops use wireless..no hardwired ethernet for each laptop.  

Is there a way to force the laptops, with lids closed, to turn on at a certain time...get updates...install...and shutdown?  or something similiar to get the job done?

I'm open to any and all suggestions.  

We run SCCM here, as well as a stand-alone WSUS Server.  We do not run updates through SCCM. 

I'm open and appreciative to all suggestions/thoughts

Thank you!

Monday, October 13, 2014 3:27 PM

Answers

• Is there a way to force the laptops, with lids closed, to turn on at a certain time...get updates...install...and shutdown?  or something similiar to get the job done?

Assuming the notebooks are all on A/C power while they're on these charge carts, and presuming that the machines are in sleep/hibernation, this is native functionality of the Windows Update Agent starting with Windows Vista. You simply need to enable the policy setting Enabling Windows Update Power Management to automatically wake up the system to install scheduled updates.

There's a qualifier here, though... the system also has to be powered-on and awake at some time prior so that it can download those updates before the scheduled installation time. If the update are not downloaded, the WUA will not schedule them for installation.

If the notebooks are fully powered down, then you'd have to use Wake-On-LAN in order to power them on prior to the scheduled installation time.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

• Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Thursday, October 23, 2014 3:26 AM
    Monday, October 13, 2014 8:45 PM

All replies

• Is there a way to force the laptops, with lids closed, to turn on at a certain time...get updates...install...and shutdown?  or something similiar to get the job done?

Assuming the notebooks are all on A/C power while they're on these charge carts, and presuming that the machines are in sleep/hibernation, this is native functionality of the Windows Update Agent starting with Windows Vista. You simply need to enable the policy setting Enabling Windows Update Power Management to automatically wake up the system to install scheduled updates.

There's a qualifier here, though... the system also has to be powered-on and awake at some time prior so that it can download those updates before the scheduled installation time. If the update are not downloaded, the WUA will not schedule them for installation.

If the notebooks are fully powered down, then you'd have to use Wake-On-LAN in order to power them on prior to the scheduled installation time.

SolarWinds Head Geek
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

• Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Thursday, October 23, 2014 3:26 AM
    Monday, October 13, 2014 8:45 PM
  • Lawrence : i know this was from a while back, my apologies for just now getting back to you. 

For this situation, what all settings would you recommend to enable to make sure that while these laptops are in use randomly throughout the day that they check for/download updates...so that when they close the screen and put them into sleep/hibernation mode they will WOL and install?  Also, will WOL work through the wireless adapter? These laptops will not be plugged up hardwire.

The settings I would think would need to be set would be as follows:

Enabling Windows Update Power Management to automatically wake up the system to install scheduled updates : Enabled

Automatic Updates detection frequency : does this need to be set to something more frequently, like 1 hour...or will it automatically check for updates when it boots up/a user logs on?  Thoughts?

Allow Automatic Updates immediate Installation : Enabled

Is there anything else you would recommend my configuring / enabling for a situation where we do not want the end user (students) to be stuck waiting for "installing update 36 of 180"?

I really appreciate your and everyone's help on this.  Lawrence, you're always so prompt and helpful...thanks so much

Friday, December 12, 2014 2:31 PM
  • Good morning,

Checking in to see on this, if anyone has a moment.  I really appreciate you all...thanks

Monday, December 15, 2014 2:44 PM
  • For this situation, what all settings would you recommend to enable to make sure that while these laptops are in use randomly throughout the day that they check for/download updates...so that when they close the screen and put them into sleep/hibernation mode they will WOL and install?

Some clarification is needed here. "WOL" == Wake_On_LAN only applies to systems that are POWERED OFF *AND* have either a hard-wired network connection, or a wireless adapter that explicitly supports WOL. In addition WOL must be initiated externally.

For systems that are merely in sleep or hibernation, the ONLY setting that must be enabled to allow them to wake up and install updates at the *scheduled* event, is Emable Windows Update Power Management to automatically wake up the system to install scheduled updates. Please note also that battery-powered systems MUST be connected to A/C power for this option to invoke. Battery-powered systems not connected to A/C power will just go back into sleep/hibernation.

Also, will WOL work through the wireless adapter?

Depends on the wireless adapter. May not be relevant depending on whether the systems are fully powered off, or just in sleep/hibernation.

Automatic Updates detection frequency : does this need to be set to something more frequently, like 1 hour...or will it automatically check for updates when it boots up/a user logs on?

For your environment where the systems may only be powered up for 6-8 hours per day, I would recommend setting this to "6 hours". The actual detection occurs at a random offset from the 6 hours.

Allow Automatic Updates immediate Installation : Enabled

If you are deploying Definition Updates via WSUS, then this setting should be enabled. If the Windows Defender (or MSE) on the systems is getting Definition Updates direct from Microsoft, or there is a third-party AV/AM software installed, this setting has no matter.

SolarWinds Head Geek

Monday, December 15, 2014 9:33 PM