Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise PCs do not follow WSUS Scheduled Installations RRS feed

• Question

• Question
    You cannot vote on your own post

Hello, I have a quick question about Windows 10 integration with existing WSUS, specifically the use of Group Policy settings that control WSUS functionality.

I have utilized the setting "Configure Automatic Updates" with a value of "4 - Auto download and schedule the install" successfully for years with Windows 7 clients.  I have my scheduled installation day/time set for Thursday at 10:00 pm (22:00)

On the Windows 7 clients on my network, this installation works as expected.  Updates queue up on workstations as they are approved and then they install automatically at 10:00 pm on Thursday if the user has not manually installed them beforehand.

On the Windows 10 client under scope of the same policy, this functionality has changed and does not work as expected.

Instead of the updates installing at the scheduled time, it seems like Windows 10 is trying to handle this for me.  Right now even, I have an update that I approved last Wednesday and when I go to the new Updates view, the status message says "A restart has been scheduled".  Then, I have a greyed out radio button that reads "We'll schedule a restart during a time you usually don't use your device "right now 3:30 AM tomorrow looks good)."

I have been receiving this same message since last Wednesday but the system hasn't restarted.  This would include the time frame (Thursday at 10:00 pm) that falls in scope of my GPO scheduled restart, so I would say that policy object doesn't work under Windows 10.

I am in an environment where I want to tightly control the restart window as I'm sure many other users are.  I don't want Windows to randomly decide when to reboot my system or not to reboot it at all.  I have trained my user base when they can expect an automatic reboot and now with Windows 10 deployment pending, I can't communicate a schedule to the users.

Please advise on this setting include how to disable or to bring back the old functionality.  I have asked the same question on the Windows 10 forums and they directed me here.

If this is a known issue, please respond accordingly and provide timeframe as to when we can expect a hotfix.

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 1:46 PM

All replies