none
working with duration and dates in PWA RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a difficult time trying to settle on a "best practice" for our company with respect to using PWA and Project Pro.  We want to start out simple; so as to not allow the tool (which is a good tool) to overwhelm us and get a bad rap.  I also want to stay in PWA as much as possible; again to keep the complexity down to start with.  Here is my struggle.  On a task of say 40 hours of effort/work, I would like to be able to say I have 3 weeks/duration to complete it in.  Why?  If I have 3 projects that this resource is working on, I may have 40 hours on one project, 40 hours on another and then of course the 40 hours i mention above but, I want them to work concurrent on them.  Is this possible?  Can I put an effort/work, of 40 hours on something but say the duration is 120 hours? 

This way, when I look at the resource usage and availabilty this person will show fully utilized over the 3 week span on three different projects.  Is what I am asking for possible?

Cletus51

Friday, May 4, 2012 2:03 PM

All replies

• That is very basic requirement and fairly possible.

In Project assign the resource to task, select start date, end date. Duration will be automatically calculated.

So if you select 3 weeks duration and assign one resource to task, total work will be calculated as 120 hours.

Now you want the duration to be 3 weeks but the work to be 40 Hours. Just go to the work column and change the work to 40 hours.

That it I believe should help you.

Abhijeet M. Mohite

Friday, May 4, 2012 2:31 PM
  • Cletus51 --

As much as I admire your desire to start out simply using mostly PWA, your requirement is one where your PMs would need to use the
    Microsoft Project 2010 desktop application.  Here is what a PM would need to do to show a task has a Duration of 3 weeks but only
    has 40 hours of work assigned:

1.  Apply the Gantt Chart view.
    2.  Select the task in question and enter a Duration of 15 days.
    3.  Drag the split bar to the right to expose the Start column.
    4.  Right-click on the Start column header, select the Insert Column item on the shortcut menu, and then add the Work column
    5.  In the Work column for the selected task, enter 40 hours.
    6.  Click the View tab to display the View ribbon and then select the Details checkbox in the Split View section of the ribbon.
    7.  Make sure you still have the task selected in the top pane.
    8.  In the bottom pane (Task Form), click the pick list in the Resource Name column and select a resource.
    9.  Click the OK button in the bottom pane to assign the resource.

In the bottom pane, you will see that Microsoft Project 2010 assigned the resource at 33% Units, working 40 hours over the 15-day
    Duration of the task.  A best practice as far as am concerned is that your PMs use this split-screen arrangement, known as the Task
    Entry view, to do most of their resource assignments.  Using the Task Entry view will give your PMs the most control over the
    resource assignment process, offering them all of the important parts of the Microsoft Project 2010 scheduling engine.  Hope this
    helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Friday, May 4, 2012 2:33 PM