ADFS installed on a member server and replacing domain controllers RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there

Hoping you can help. We have ADFS installed on a member server (NON domain controller). We also have 4 DC's (2 x 2008R2 and 2 2012R2) and have started a project to replace all the current dc's with 2 x 2016 DC's.

I've had a look on our member server where ADFS is installed and cant see anything that shouts at me regarding our current DC's and I'm just a bit concerend that when we do the switchover something will break.

I was hoping someone might have gone through something similar and might have some pointers on where to look and what to look for?

Many thanks

Tuesday, August 14, 2018 10:21 PM

All replies

• A recommendation would be to upgrade ADFS-farm as well, even though its not necessary for your operation.

Monday, August 20, 2018 10:49 AM
  • Nothing will break. Both ADFS on Windows Server 2012 R2 and ADFS Windows Server 2016 fully support having 2016 domain controllers. There is nothing hardcoded to a specific DC in ADFS. Just make sure that:

- if they also hosted DNS, the clients configurations re updated accordingly

- they all your DCs have the global catalog flag on

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Thursday, August 23, 2018 12:55 PM