none
How to protect Mirrored SQL DB with 2 different DPM 2010 servers? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Support,

I have a client with 10 SQL 2005/2008 Database servers, databases are mirrored from the Production site to DR site over WAN link.

They intended to deploy DPM 2010 servers at each data center to backup the servers separately, thus no backup traffic the saturate the precious WAN link.

Is this possible in DPM 2010, any workaround to allow DPM 2010 to treat the mirrored SQL servers a stand-alone servers?

Thanks

Li Wei

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 6:33 AM

Answers

• DPM will detect that a SQL database is mirrored when protection is initiated and require you to put the agent on the mirrored SQL server as well.  This will need to point to the DPM server that has the primary protection.  At this point, the agents on each server point to the primary DPM server.  Because of this, you will not be able to protect anything on the mirror SQL server with any other DPM servers as a protected server can have a DPM agent point to only one DPM server at a given time.

Thanks, Chris Butcher - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 3:15 PM

All replies

• DPM will detect that a SQL database is mirrored when protection is initiated and require you to put the agent on the mirrored SQL server as well.  This will need to point to the DPM server that has the primary protection.  At this point, the agents on each server point to the primary DPM server.  Because of this, you will not be able to protect anything on the mirror SQL server with any other DPM servers as a protected server can have a DPM agent point to only one DPM server at a given time.

Thanks, Chris Butcher - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 3:15 PM
  • Hi Chris,

Does that means if i need to use the DPM server in the production data center to backup the Mirroring server OS & file system over the expensive WAN link, while my DPM at the DR site can do nothing for this?

This sounds a silly idea, i should at least be able to backup the OS & file system locally.

If this is by design in DPM 2010 SP1, it seems a bad design decision.

Rgds

Li Wei

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 7:58 AM
  • I will check into any other possible options, but the bottom line is that DPM requires an agent on the mirrored copy of the database in case something happens and it is hosted there.  We would then have an agent that we are communicating with and be able to continue protection for the database(s).  With that in mind, we know that servers can only have an agent from one DPM server at a given point as the agent is configured to talk to just one specific server.

We are looking at any other possible options; however, I believe that this will be our solution. 

Thursday, June 2, 2011 12:18 PM