none
Windows 10 GPO to turn off store application

Question

• Hello - 

We are looking to expand our rollout of Windows 10 machines in our organization (we currently have less than 15).  Prior to doing this I would like to tighten up some things by adjusting some GPO.

One thing I would like to restrict is access to the windows store.  In my Windows 10 GPO on my domain I enabled the following setting:

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Store  > Turn off the Store Application.

I then did a gpupdate /force on my machine and rebooted.  I checked the registry that the GPO is supposed to modify:

HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsStore - RemoveWindowsStore = 1.

When I try to access the store on my machine I get "The Store App is Blocked, Contact your IT Administrator".  DESIRED RESULTS!!

When I check other machines that this GPO is scoped to - I look at the registry, the proper key is set the same.  Reboot, and try to acccess -- these machines are able to access the store?!?

Am I missing something?  What else should I look at?

Thanks in advance

sb

Thursday, February 04, 2016 4:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    What version of your Windows 10? And is the same image which all Windows 10 machines installed?
    In Windows 10 version 1511, these policies are applicable to users of the Enterprise and Education editions only. This behavior is by design.
    Please see details from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3135657

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by stephenmbell Wednesday, February 10, 2016 4:48 PM
    Friday, February 05, 2016 8:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    What version of your Windows 10? And is the same image which all Windows 10 machines installed?
    In Windows 10 version 1511, these policies are applicable to users of the Enterprise and Education editions only. This behavior is by design.
    Please see details from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3135657

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by stephenmbell Wednesday, February 10, 2016 4:48 PM
    Friday, February 05, 2016 8:48 AM
  • So where can we officially protest this decision that Microsoft has made in a vacuum? 

I do not care that they have deemed this as the "best" option, but it is NOT in our case.  We should be able to decide that at the Windows Pro level.  Having the Apps available with TrustedInstaller is unacceptable. 

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 8:45 PM