Network location problems on Virtual Host Networking RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

Im having a problem that the network name is different when i user Hyper-V manager and SCE 2010. When i use Hyper-V mananger the virtual network is called "LAN", and when i right klick the Host Server in SCE2010 the adapter gets a name thats called "domain.local" (the customers domain).

And if i use the customers domain all the virual hosts on that server disconnects their network adapters.

Anybode got an idea on why this happens?

Friday, March 19, 2010 6:43 AM

Answers

• I'm not sure what you mean by "And if i use the customers domain all the virual hosts on that server disconnects their network adapters."

The virtual lan is bound to a physical network adapter.  The virtual lan name has nothing to do with the physical network, other than binding, and setting the virtual nic on your vm to connect to the correct network.  The physical adapter on the host will always display the real domain name.  How you setup your virtual network in the hyper-v manager dictates how the vm's will connect.  If you want your vm's on your customers domain, typically you setup your virtual network type as external and select the physical nic it will use.  You then point the virtual network adapter on your vm at your virtual network "LAN" in this case, using a dynamic mac address if needed.  I don't think anything is wrong with your setup unless you're experiencing a problem.  On the physical host server, you should see three connections, local area connection with the customer domain.local, physical server nic, and a virtual switch.  Changing any of these will in fact disconnect all your vm's.

It's a...jump...to conclusions...mat.
    • Proposed as answer by Tim Magnuson Tuesday, March 23, 2010 3:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Friday, March 26, 2010 10:22 AM
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 3:29 PM