system slow, a few not responding items RRS feed

• Question

• I've owned an HP h8-1080t CTO for 3 years now. It has been a screamer. from power on to hd idle was under 45 seconds. Sometime last year I started using Photoshop CS6 extended to play around with 3d. A few times PS would crash when playing with 3d. At the time I had a geforce gt 545 and was using the last known stable driver. I called hp techs for advice and they were adamant that I try the latest driver. well, it wiped out my system as I new it would and changed the "boot to lan" option in bios to on which I have change back to off. 

Since that time I have been fighting trying to get my system running like it used too. I first reinstalled windows and saw it was slow. boot time is over 2 minutes if not more. I bought and installed an amd radeon hd 7750 to see if that was the problem. It only solved the Photoshop crashes. After running extensive ram, hard drive tests I opted for a new 2 tb barracuda to replace the original 1.5tb barracuda.

FWIW: I noticed the speed difference before and after installing windows 7 updates. Also before all this started I had been running windows 8 pro about 3 months after it was released so it's not the operating system or any updates. Any ideas would be appreciated. TIA and happy holidays.

Specs

_______________________________________________________________________________

HP h8-1080t

AMI bios 6.16, 9/15/2011 mode: legacy

Intel I7 970 @ 3.2ghz

12g system ram

page file space: 5.00 gb

Sunday, December 22, 2013 7:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As I understanding, the performance on your Windows 8 computer is slow. If there is any misunderstanding, feel free to help clarify with me.

The performance issue can be caused by incompatibility issue including drivers or 3<sup>rd</sup> part security applications.

First, would you please let me know which certain items you mentioned has no responding. Have you see any high CPU usage in task manager when you tried to loading them?

Also, please contact HP again to update all related drivers including Display card, sound card, chipset, USB or other devices to applying Windows 8.

Meanwhile, we need to collect the performance trace log by using following tools and upload here for further research:

Troubleshooting Windows Performance Issues Using the Windows Performance Recorder

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askpfeplat/archive/2013/03/22/troubleshooting-windows-performance-issues-using-the-windows-performance-recorder.aspx

Keep post.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 9:45 AM
  • Hi Kate, thanks for helping out with this. Am currently running the performance recorder. I did however experience a few lags with programs responding. An example was viewing photos in a directory. it took long than usual to open them.

I did find this in the even log:

taskhostex (3472) The database cache size maintenance task has taken 60 seconds without completing. This may result in severe performance degradation. Current cache size is 36 buffers above the configured cache limit (289 percent of target). Cache size maintenance evicted 7 buffers, made 52577 flush attempts, and successfully flushed 1 buffers. It has run 5995 times since maintenance was triggered.

_______________________________________________________________________________

How long should I run the recorder before stopping it?

I won't expect a response for awhile. Have a great holiday

Also do I attach the report to this msg and if so where, thank you

• Edited by Cyberwasp Wednesday, December 25, 2013 12:41 AM
    Tuesday, December 24, 2013 5:58 PM
  • Hi, 

30~60 seconds would be ok to record your issue. 

To upload the recorded file, please save it to SkyDrive or similar network drives and share the file with public link here. 

Thanks for your cooperation and wait for your response.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 30, 2013 5:25 AM