none
DPM Disaster Recovery Site RRS feed

• Question

• Dears,

im establishing DPM server on a site which contain a large amount of data about 2 TB Normal files from files servers, here is my question i will establish another DPM server on another site to act as DR for the first one, i don't have any issues on the bandwidth as the two sites connected through 25 MB line now can i build the other server next to the first one i mean onsite, and after taking the intial replica moving it to the other site. then the only data that will be replicated is the changed blocks.

thanks in advance

• Moved by MarcReynolds Monday, November 29, 2010 2:38 PM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Sunday, November 28, 2010 10:12 AM

Answers

• Hi Marc,

To answer your question about building the first server at the same site as the primary - configuring it as secondary and configuring your protection groups and then moving it to another site. DPM will handle an IP address change without issue if your other site is a different IP range. Provided you are not changing forests, domains or the DPM servername then you'll be OK. If you have firewalls in between site1 and site2 then you'll need to make sure the appropriate rules are allowed for DPM communication. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808766.aspx
    Also make sure that DNS updates if you change the IP address of the DPM server.

Also, yes the only data transferred between the primary and secondary DPM servers for file data will be the modified blocks on the DPM replica of the primary. The only caveat that I have seen to this is where DFS-R is used on file servers and people have stored PST files within the DFS-R namespace - the issue is not with DPM but that DFS-R would rewrite the entire contents of the PST and DPM would of course see this as changed blocks (because the whole file was rewritten). If you're not in this scenario then you will be fine.

If you start protecting other types of data such as SQL, SharePoint or Exchange then you will see a slightly different pattern when you create recovery points and you'll essentially see the log data being the change data amount from primary to secondary.

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by Melgendi Tuesday, November 30, 2010 12:55 PM
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 11:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Marc,

To answer your question about building the first server at the same site as the primary - configuring it as secondary and configuring your protection groups and then moving it to another site. DPM will handle an IP address change without issue if your other site is a different IP range. Provided you are not changing forests, domains or the DPM servername then you'll be OK. If you have firewalls in between site1 and site2 then you'll need to make sure the appropriate rules are allowed for DPM communication. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808766.aspx
    Also make sure that DNS updates if you change the IP address of the DPM server.

Also, yes the only data transferred between the primary and secondary DPM servers for file data will be the modified blocks on the DPM replica of the primary. The only caveat that I have seen to this is where DFS-R is used on file servers and people have stored PST files within the DFS-R namespace - the issue is not with DPM but that DFS-R would rewrite the entire contents of the PST and DPM would of course see this as changed blocks (because the whole file was rewritten). If you're not in this scenario then you will be fine.

If you start protecting other types of data such as SQL, SharePoint or Exchange then you will see a slightly different pattern when you create recovery points and you'll essentially see the log data being the change data amount from primary to secondary.

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by Melgendi Tuesday, November 30, 2010 12:55 PM
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 11:16 AM
  • Thank you Danny for your help i will go thrugh this in my implemntation hope it works
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 12:56 PM