Lost E-Mail RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I'm hoping someone can give me some feedback for an issue we encountered recently. We have an Exchange 2010 SP1 environment setup with 2 CAS servers clustered via Windows NLB that Outlook 2010 users connect to on the frontend and 2 DB servers on the backend. This past weekend we had an issue with 1 of the 2 CAS servers.  The Transport.exe process was pegged at 100% on the problematic server and a reboot was performed to release the process.  The server came back up okay and even during the problem, users connected to the 2nd CAS server were fine for the most partt. Unfortunately a couple of executives lost some e-mails in the process.  I'm not 100% sure what the excat timing of the e-mails being sent were and the excat coorelation between the problem on the server and the window of time that users expirenced problems because I did not look at the server myself during that time. The next morning I followed up with the users and couold not find any trace of the missing e-mails.  There was nothing in the Outbox, sent, drafts or deleted folders.  I even checked the mail queues on both CAS servers as well as running some message tracking from both servers, looking at the period of time that issues were reported. Although I can match up every other e-mail to the results I got via the message tracking logs; I could find no trace of the missing e-mails.  I confirmed with other users that were having problems during the window of issue, that their mail was queued up in their outbox but that they eventually sent out when the server connection was restored, so I know it didn't just wipe out all e-mails during those times. I would be inclined to think that something got closed on the client side (possibly because they were getting pop-ups related to the Outlook client getting disconnected from the problematic CAS server, and they closed the e-mail by accident or something to that effect) but the issue is that this is a high-profile executive who lost hours of work on a Sunday night because of this. I even worked with an outside consultant to double-check how I was trying to track the messages and they could not offer anymore insight into the situation. I was hoping someone could offer me anymore advice on where else to check and find out if there has been any other reports of a similar type of scenario that I could at least go back to the people who lost e-mail with. Any helpful feedback would be appreciated.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 10:35 PM

Answers

• I can't think of any scenario where a loss of a CAS would cause data loss.  If your CAS servers are also hub transport servers, I can imagine there could be a lost message in transport, but even that should be pretty rare.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    • Proposed as answer by Gen Lin Monday, August 22, 2011 8:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Gen Lin Friday, August 26, 2011 6:50 AM
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 12:43 AM
  • Well, that's possible.  What could have happened was that they tried sending a message, it didn't go and the composed message was lost.  That's not the same thing as "lost message".

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 5:18 PM

All replies

• I can't think of any scenario where a loss of a CAS would cause data loss.  If your CAS servers are also hub transport servers, I can imagine there could be a lost message in transport, but even that should be pretty rare.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 12:43 AM
  • Hi Ed,

Thanks for your response. The CAS servers are also running as HUB servers. I tend to agree with you but unfortunately I'm faced with this situation where 2 users are adamant that they tried sending the e-mail and now there's no record of it anywhere. I guess I am just hoping to see if there's any other log I could look in or if there's an MS technote or something to that effect that would explain if there is a scenario where this could happen.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 3:35 PM
  • Well, that's possible.  What could have happened was that they tried sending a message, it didn't go and the composed message was lost.  That's not the same thing as "lost message".

Thursday, August 18, 2011 5:18 PM