none
RemoteApp crashes out with Sage RRS feed

• Question

• Hi! This is my first time posting to TechNet so go easy!!

I'm having an issue with RemoteApp on Server 2008. I'm running Sage Accounts 2010 as a remote app for terminal server users, and it works fine, except during one particular operation (clicking on the "Write-off customer" option from within Sage). The odd thing is, there is no record of a crash out from within Sage on the server. The client screen will freeze, any clicking within the remote app window will result in a nasty beep, and the only way of getting rid of it is to kill the Sage process. The client machine will then reports MSTSC.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. Weird part is, when going back into the session (ie reconnecting to a disconnected session), Sage displays exactly what it should have done originally, before it crashed. This makes me think the problem is definitely not with Sage, and definitely IS with RemoteApp.

I've tried several things to test, and I've noticed that this crash does not happen when running Sage in a normal remote desktop window, only over Remote App. I've also tried a number of things suggested on this thread over on Experts Exchange: http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Server/Remote_Desktop-Terminal_Services/Q_24871309.html. My entire progress is in that thread, so I won't replicate it here.

Has anyone else had similar problems with Remote App? And is there anything I can do to fix it?

Thanks!

Sam

edit: Server OS is server 2008 sp 1, remote desktop version is latest, tested from XP, Vista, 7.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 5:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

there are certain issues when running application in RemoteApp mode. For example, there is an issue with Microsoft Dynamics.
    While RemoteApp's run fine with most applications there are some that don't. The best advice here would probably be to contact
    you application provider and ask them about the plant for better compatibility with RDS RemoteApp's. As far as I know there are
    some fixes on the server part in R2, but again it is a application developer tast in the first place to make it compatible with
    RemoteApp's. You might also look into Citrix solutions if that is a business critical issue.
    Citrix Technology Professional, PubForum.net Founder, LinkedIn, TS Training in Europe! Love Microsoft &its people to bits!
    Friday, November 27, 2009 9:33 PM