none
Installing SharePoint 2013 with SQL Server 2012 Developer Edition RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can we use SQL Server 2012 Developer edition with SharePoint 2013?  One thing that came to my mind was setting max degree of parallelism, is that supported in Developer edition?  Looking forward to your assistance here.

Thanks,

kashif

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 4:30 PM

Answers

• I'm slightly incorrect. See http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/4/A/64A1EC8F-F575-41E1-9D34-821FA9F98F8E/SQL_Server_2012_Licensing_Reference_Guide.pdf.

Licensing SQL Server for Non-production Use
    The SQL Server 2012 Developer Edition is a full-function version of the SQL Server software—with all the 
    features and capabilities of the Enterprise edition—licensed under the Developer Tools model, which is a “per 
    user” model. One license is required for each person that accesses or uses the software. 
    When using SQL Server software for development, test or demonstration purposes, only the users are licensed 
    and there is no need for a corresponding license for the actual server systems running SQL Server software in 
    this case. 
    As long as only licensed users have access to the software, customers can install as many copies of the software 
    on any number of servers that are used exclusively for development, test or demonstration purposes. This 
    is significant, because it allows customers to run the software on multiple devices (for testing purposes, for 
    example) without having to license each non-production server system.

-----------

But no, as you can see above, you'll have no issues with the software (Developer Edition is Enterprise Edition with licensing restrictions, but no functionality restrictions).

Trevor Seward

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 5:41 PM

All replies

• Yes you can, given you're the only user of it (as that is the licensing/intent of Developer Edition).

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 4:56 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.  Does that mean that I can't have QA or other developers connect to it?  Is it limited to number of users?  Does that affect User Profile Service?

I will be creating the dev environment from backup of my existing production.  Any suggestions or best approach to handle this?  Your help is always appreciated.

Regards,

kashif

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 5:01 PM
  • I'm slightly incorrect. See http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/4/A/64A1EC8F-F575-41E1-9D34-821FA9F98F8E/SQL_Server_2012_Licensing_Reference_Guide.pdf.

Licensing SQL Server for Non-production Use
    The SQL Server 2012 Developer Edition is a full-function version of the SQL Server software—with all the 
    features and capabilities of the Enterprise edition—licensed under the Developer Tools model, which is a “per 
    user” model. One license is required for each person that accesses or uses the software. 
    When using SQL Server software for development, test or demonstration purposes, only the users are licensed 
    and there is no need for a corresponding license for the actual server systems running SQL Server software in 
    this case. 
    As long as only licensed users have access to the software, customers can install as many copies of the software 
    on any number of servers that are used exclusively for development, test or demonstration purposes. This 
    is significant, because it allows customers to run the software on multiple devices (for testing purposes, for 
    example) without having to license each non-production server system.

-----------

But no, as you can see above, you'll have no issues with the software (Developer Edition is Enterprise Edition with licensing restrictions, but no functionality restrictions).

Trevor Seward

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 5:41 PM
  • The licensing that is required is MSDN licensing. Each user accessing this SharePoint farm which in turn uses this instance of SQL Server Developer edition must have a valid MSDN (subscription) license.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 5:45 PM
  • The licensing that is required is MSDN licensing. Each user accessing this SharePoint farm which in turn uses this instance of SQL Server Developer edition must have a valid MSDN (subscription) license.

Not for the SQL Developer Edition. That can be purchased (last I had a company buy a copy) for as little as $50. It does not require an MSDN subscription.

The SharePoint farm would require normal SharePoint CALs, of course, or MSDN Subscriptions on a per-user basis.

Trevor Seward

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 5:54 PM
  • Oh cool. I didn't realise Developer Edition had a separate purchasable SKU. Thanks for clarifying!

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 3:46 PM