sccm and scom server 2008 64 bit standard RRS feed

• Question

• Can you load sccm and scom on the same 2008 64 bit standard server?

Dual core amd opteron processor 2210   1.79  (2 processors)
    8gb ram
    Friday, March 27, 2009 7:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Adam,

We need a little more info e.g. number of computers in your environment, number of locations etc. Normally my answer would be No; it's not a good idea due to performance. But it all depends on the number of resources you are supporting.
    Kent Agerlund
    • Marked as answer by adamhall Sunday, March 29, 2009 6:09 PM
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 4:50 PM
  • Hi Adam,

I would start by using the single server. If it turns out to be a nightmare you always remove some of the site system roles like the database etc. How about the RAID/disk configurations
    Kent Agerlund
    • Marked as answer by adamhall Sunday, March 29, 2009 9:32 PM
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 6:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Sure you can , but I would never recommend doing so. For better performance it is better to split both to a dedicated server. Specially if it is a RMS you will definitely face performance issues.

- Jannes Alink
    Please mark posts as Answered if appropriate.
    • Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Friday, March 27, 2009 10:59 PM
    Friday, March 27, 2009 8:20 PM
  • Hi Adam,

We need a little more info e.g. number of computers in your environment, number of locations etc. Normally my answer would be No; it's not a good idea due to performance. But it all depends on the number of resources you are supporting.
    Kent Agerlund
    • Marked as answer by adamhall Sunday, March 29, 2009 6:09 PM
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 4:50 PM
  • We have around 360 users and about 50 of those are terminal server users; I thought because of how small of an operation we are that it could run efficiently.  By locations do you mean the number of sites we have?  I'm very new to this and am setting up a virtual enviroment tomorrow.  I go to a class in May and am going to try to stand it up over the next week or two.

Sunday, March 29, 2009 6:09 PM
  • Hi Adam,

I would start by using the single server. If it turns out to be a nightmare you always remove some of the site system roles like the database etc. How about the RAID/disk configurations
    Kent Agerlund
    • Marked as answer by adamhall Sunday, March 29, 2009 9:32 PM
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 6:18 PM
  • Raid 5; I would like to know any of the issues you've had using this configuration?  What tips do you have for me that would differ from using two servers; and can you configure it with SQL 2008?
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 9:32 PM
  • Hi,

RAID 5 is not a good idea. RAID10 is preferred.

When you want to configure it on SQL Server 2008 for SCOM you need the R2 version. At this time SCOM R2 is Release Candidate.
    Monday, March 30, 2009 6:01 AM
  • Monday, March 30, 2009 12:39 PM
  • Can you load sccm before scom?
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 4:09 AM
  • Hi,

Yes that should be no problem.
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 5:14 AM