Vista RC1 and Nforce Raid setup RRS feed

• Question

• How do you get Vista RC1 setup in a raid 0 array either in upgrade from Windows XP or from clean install?
    Sunday, October 8, 2006 12:01 AM

All replies

• Jim,

There is a well documented issue with RC1 build 5600 and the NVRAID drivers it includes, as they don't work.

Build 5728 RC1 has apparently got over this and works fine, as does the new RC2 5744 build, which I have just installed on my A8N SlI Premium board on a separate partition on my RAID0 array (2 x WD250GB SATAII drives).

If you can get hold of RC2 I'd just jump to that as I know it works and is supposedly the final RC before they send the stuff out for manufacture.

This was link to download yesterday, but it is limited release so hope it's still available.

http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/rc2/en/download.htm

Ridesy

Sunday, October 8, 2006 9:06 PM
  • After reading all these posts regarding failed RAID installs on Vista RC1 I had my doubts if I would be successfull, especially being my first time setting up a RAID system. My installation gave me absolutely no problem whatsoever, perhaps it is my hardware, perhaps my setup, perhaps just luck but obviously I must have done everything right or it would not be working.

Here are my system configuration details and how I performed the installation:

MOBO: Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe w/wireless;

Optical-Drive(s): (Master) Lite-On DVD-RW Lightscribe (Slave) Lite-On CD-RW;

CPU: AMD64 Dual Core +3800;

GPU: Palit GForce 7600-Sli Ready (Standard non-sli setup)

Memory: G-Skil 667 1gb;

HDD(s): 2x Western Digital 7200 Caviar 160GB SATA II, 1x Seagate 7200 Barracuda 160GB SATA II;

RAID: nVidia RAID5;

1st Boot device = Optical;

2nd Boot device = HDD;

3rd Boot device = Disabled;

DUAL BOOT:  XP 32-bit SP2 / VISTA 64-bit RC1 Build 5600 (Clean Installs);

Drivers XP 32-bit: nVidia SATA/RAID 32-bit XP v5.10.2600.666

Drivers Vista 64-bit: nVidia SATA/RAID 64-bit XP v5.10.2600.666

Although I have more HDD(s) than this I disconnected them from my system to avoid any conflicts, I had found a message on another board recommending this. I also disconnected the IDE/RAID controller previously installed to support my legacy IDE HDD(s), also to avoid conflicts.

Before setting up Vista I installed XP 32 SP2 on a separate partition. I used the NV SATA/Raid 32 Bit XP driver that came with my MOBO, I included the nForce SATA driver that was included on the Floppy I created using the tool provided on my MOBO Driver disc. I then partitioned the RAID array into two equal partitions, one for XP the other for Vista

After performing a clean install of XP 32-bit SP2 I inserted a floppy disc containing the nVidia SATA/RAID 64-Bit XP drivers in the floppy drive.

I then performed a clean install of Vista 64-bit RC1 build 5600

I DID NOT run the install from inside Windows XP or any other OS!

Vista never asked for any RAID drivers, it went through the installation as normal with no unexpected interruptions.

If installing on an SLI configured pc and having trouble using this method try disconnecting the second GPU until the installation is completed.

Contact(remove spacing): j d f 1 9 6 8 (at) h o t m a i l

Friday, October 20, 2006 10:21 AM
  • I have A8N-E motherboard from ASUS. andI think I cannot install Vista RC1 5600 beacose of my SCSI and RAID problems... hence why I get blue screen after every Vista install. It would be nice thought if someone could link me to Vista RC2.
    Thx in advance...

Manwe.
    Saturday, October 21, 2006 5:11 PM
  • I was also somewhat successful with RC1 (5600) in 32-bit.  I installed it on an ASUS Intel (P5B Deluxe) Mobo with Core 2 Extreme & 2GB RAM @ 1066 MHz.  The SAD thing is that I'm getting a HORRIBLE performance score on my Vista Performance rating for my Primary Hard Drive. 

What's more shocking, is this is my second successful Vista install.  I first installed Vista x64 Build 7368 and had a total Vista Performance score above 5.0 in all areas.  That was using a single 250GB SATA-II drive in IDE mode on the Intel onboard controller. 

Now that I'm running RAID-5 on 3 250GB disks I'm getting a score of ONLY 2.5 for hard drive performance, and I can tell.  It takes FOREVER to load Vista and I can't play video content without serious glitches and an eventual crash of WMP.

ANYONE have any ideas if this could be an issue with the RC1 build and the provided Intel ICH8R controller drivers being piss poor, or is this typical of a RAID-5 to lower performance because of the parity calculations?  I need to know whether to deploy Vista on RAID-5 workstations, of if I'm better off doing non-RAID.

Saturday, October 21, 2006 7:22 PM
  • "Now that I'm running RAID-5 on 3 250GB disks I'm getting a score of ONLY 2.5 for hard drive performance"

My RAID-5 is also very slow when doing writes, I also received a very low score of 2.5 for drive performance. The problem I believe is due to the parity calculations that are done with each write operation. I chose RAID-5 because it is supposed to be the most economical and fastest of fault tolerant arrays. Now I am thinking maybe I can drop the faulty tolerance and set up a RAID-0 instead.

Sunday, October 22, 2006 7:14 AM
  • I've reconfigured my system using RAID-0 in place of RAID-5, I know by doing this I risk losing data, but that is a chance I am willing to take. Besides, I store my important files on a separate hard drive anyhow. Vista runs so much faster in RAID-0. Vista will lag in RAID-5 because RAID-5 is slow on writes and Vista relies heavily on page files. I am now getting a score of 5.9 for HDD performance.
    Wednesday, October 25, 2006 6:09 AM
  •  

OK, so back to thread.

So no-one has managed to install VISTA RC1 on nForce4 RAID?   I had it running pretty happily oin B1 & B2, now it just won't seem to install on RC1 & missed the CTP for RC2. 

The drivers that I download from nvidia for RC1 don't even have a Raiod driver folder.  Just a stupid comment in the instructions.  "Installation instructions will be provided on an as needed basis."  Great!

Anyone get over this driver propblem?

Cheers, Gareth.

Monday, October 30, 2006 9:10 AM
  • Gareth,

I skipped RC1, as I managed to get the RC2 downloads so I don't personally know if this will work, but you could try the Nvidia Beta 2 drivers package that does contain an invidual RAID driver set and instructions on creating it (but then again you must have done this for your B2 & B1 installs).

Just in case this is a link to the Beta 2 drivers for x86: http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_nforce_vista_x86_beta2.html

As I say I don't know if they will work on the RC1 build, but as you rightly say the RC1 drivers from Nvidia do not include RAID drivers, as these were included in the Vista RC1 build (they just don't seem to work).

Anyway WTH try the Beta 2 RAID drivers, as the RAID drivers have only changed for XP once in the past year or more.

Ridesy

Monday, October 30, 2006 5:44 PM