none
Problem with reading e-Books after installing ie10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am in the process of upgrading from ie8 to ie10 on our Win7 SP1 student PCs. Our uni is subscribed to the online book company "Dawsonera.com" so that our students can have controlled access to online books.

Online reading and downloading works fine on ie8. After installing ie10, I am having a major problem when clicking on the read book icon, the message displayed on the screen is "NAVIGATION TO THE WEBPAGE WAS CANCELED". Clicking on "Download" option  just hangs the session. 

If I use a local account with no group policy applied, the display and download functions work fine. If I put the student account in to Local Administrators group, the display and download functions work fine.

Can anyone advise what Group Policy I need to amend to allow this function to work for non-administrator login accounts.

There is no problem just opening a PDF from the ie10 browser, this works fine. Acrobat Reader V11.0.7 installed.

04-Sept-2014--:

I have fixed the problem. It was being caused by a permissions problem to the "Temporary Internet Files" folder. All users were pointed to the same folder, but our "Delete on exit" routine was not working properly. So when another user logged in, they did not have rights to temporarily download the page for internal viewing in IE10.

In order to close post, I have marked "Daredevil57" as having answered.

Thanks for the assistance offered...:)

• Edited by Mdx_Tom Thursday, September 4, 2014 10:37 AM I have fixed the problem.
    Saturday, August 30, 2014 4:37 PM

Answers

• Hi

Is your GPO updated for IE10?

Do you have the updated Administrative templates installed?

http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2013/03/how-to-implement-internet-explorer-10-group-policy-with-windows-7/

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Mdx_Tom Thursday, September 4, 2014 10:37 AM
    Saturday, August 30, 2014 4:42 PM

All replies

• Hi

Is your GPO updated for IE10?

Do you have the updated Administrative templates installed?

http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2013/03/how-to-implement-internet-explorer-10-group-policy-with-windows-7/

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Mdx_Tom Thursday, September 4, 2014 10:37 AM
    Saturday, August 30, 2014 4:42 PM
  • After installing ie10, I am having a major problem when clicking on the read book icon, the message displayed on the screen is "NAVIGATION TO THE WEBPAGE WAS CANCELED". Clicking on "Download" option  just hangs the session. 

FWIW I don't understand the GP question but this sounds like a compatibility issue.  Have you tried overriding the Emulation at all?  E.g. Compatibility view would give you IE7 in Quirks mode.  If you really need IE8 emulation it would be best to go for IE11 + Enterprise mode compatibility.  Otherwise, each time it is needed you could go into Developer Tools, Emulation tab (F12, Ctrl-8) and choose whatever combination of User-Agent string and Document mode works with that site.

BTW if you have IE9 to use for testing you would probably see the same problem with it.  Both browsers in Edge mode use an HTML 5.0 aware UAS.  But in the case of IE10 it could simply be that the site is looking for  MSIE 8  or greater as a string compare instead of doing an arithmetic check.  Similarly it would be interesting I'm sure to see what it does with IE11, since in its Default UAS there is no MSIE string to find at all.   ; )

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, August 31, 2014 3:02 AM
    Answerer