Single Database in Two DAGs RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Professionals,

I have a question.  Can a mailbox database be part of two DAGs ?   That is I have for example, Kentukcy_Food_DB in  DAG-1 and physical server  sv-1 and sv-2. Now I want to create  another DAG-2.  I add two servers SV-3 and SV-4. Can I copy or add database copy to DAG-2. Is this a possbile scenario.

Monday, December 2, 2013 8:47 AM

Answers

• you cannot have database copies across multiple DAG's.

DAG is your replication boundary.  you can have database copies on mailbox servers participating within DAG not to server participating in another DAG.

Monday, December 2, 2013 5:37 PM

All replies

• Hello Professionals,

I have a question.  Can a mailbox database be part of two DAGs ?   That is I have for example, Kentukcy_Food_DB in  DAG-1 and physical server  sv-1 and sv-2. Now I want to create  another DAG-2.  I add two servers SV-3 and SV-4. Can I copy or add database copy to DAG-2. Is this a possbile scenario.

Monday, December 2, 2013 8:47 AM
  • Hi

You can have one active copy and multiple passive copies. What do you want to achieve with the second DAG?

Monday, December 2, 2013 8:55 AM
  • Duplicate post.
    Monday, December 2, 2013 8:55 AM
  • Yup !!! By mistake

Monday, December 2, 2013 9:40 AM
  • you cannot have database copies across multiple DAG's.

DAG is your replication boundary.  you can have database copies on mailbox servers participating within DAG not to server participating in another DAG.

Monday, December 2, 2013 5:37 PM
  • Hi

You cannot do this natively in Exchange but you can use 3rd party replication tools to create a database replica in another DAG.

Steve

Monday, December 2, 2013 7:28 PM
  • Hi Manju,

Thanks for reply.

What I m looking for is that I need to have site resiliency. That is I want to have one exchange site with DAG consisting of  ex1 and ex2 and  wit01 (witness server). 

I want to have one more site ex3 and ex4 and alternate witness server.  I know that we can localize the mailbox database by creating multiple mailbox database.  That is users in a particular site will have mailbox database hosted in their site itself. 

I was looking for some scenario where we have a single mailbox database with site resiliency.

Is it achievable ?

Regards,

Mohammed.

Monday, December 9, 2013 9:50 AM
  • Hi

This is not possible.  If you managed to find some way of getting the database online to two sites you would not be able to "merge" the data once the link is restored.  For site resiliency you need two DAGs with at least four servers (two mailbox servers per DAG).

Steve

Monday, December 9, 2013 10:36 AM