WID on another Drive? (Server 2012 R2) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

the Best Practise Analyser keeps telling me I should move the WSUS database to another drive.

I have searched the internet, but all the articles I could find were using the SQL Management Studio. Is this really the way to go here? I would expect that moving the WID, which is a role and not a exclusive software like SQL Server 2015 or Exchange Server 2013, can be done without separate Software?

In lack of other options, I did install the SQL 2012 Management Studio x64 and were trying to connect to \\.\pipe\mssql$microsoft##ssee\sql\query, but that never worked ...

Sunday, July 12, 2015 11:45 AM

Answers

• Hi,

>>I would expect that moving the WID, which is a role and not a exclusive software like SQL Server 2015 or Exchange Server 2013, can be done without separate Software?

We are not moving the WID role, we just move the WID database file. Actually, WID is a SQL Server Express. There is no management tool to manage it by default. That's why we need to install the Management Studio.

>>In lack of other options, I did install the SQL 2012 Management Studio x64 and were trying to connect to \\.\pipe\mssql$microsoft##ssee\sql\query, but that never worked ...

The named pipe has been changed on Windows server 2012 and later.

The new named pipe is : \\.\pipe\MICROSOFT##WID\tsql\query

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by ϻοϰsϯεr Monday, July 13, 2015 5:05 PM
    Monday, July 13, 2015 7:19 AM