Videos files 170 at roughly 1GB each, can I store in SP SQL or should I be storing on the LAN with a link in SharePoint RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All.

Environment: two server farm, 1 WFE and 1 SQL backend. Internal Intranet. DVD files compressed down to 1 GB in size.

I have a requirement to allow users to view video files and would like to use SharePoint for this, I know that putting 170 by 1GB files into SharePoint (SQL) isn't probably the best solution but I not going to go down the road of Blob storage as this is too expensive  to implement and time consumning.

I have looked at IIS media services e.g. store the video files on a file share and put the links to the files in SharePoint but this might also take too long to configure and support.

My Question - can anyone suggest the easiest solution to storing and using SharePoint to allow access (this can mean either storing the files in Sharepoint or just links to the files) the videos are training videos and the number of users will vary between 1 - 20 possible users at anyone time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 3:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• I would strongly recommend that you avoid putting files that large into SharePoint at all costs, if for no other reason than its going to be very difficult to successfully accomplish. Files that large will take a long time to upload into SharePoint and put a serious strain on your servers, both SharePoint and SQL. You'd have to really crank up several settings to allow it, and you have to remember that you're also going to have to deal with the strain of sending those 1 GB files back to your users when they view those video files from within SharePoint or download them locally. SharePoint 2007, which I'm assuming you're using since you posted this to a SharePoint 2007 forum, can support uploads of up to 2 GB in size but you really need to be sure that your SharePoint servers and the network they're on can handle those files.

I would really say that IIS Smooth Streaming is a better route, with either links to the files or embedded viewers for those files. I understand that putting them into SharePoint may be easier to implement, but I just don't think its going to perform well for you long term. The end goal is to provide a service that users want to use and are happy about, and I think IIS's capabilities are going to give you a better shot at attaining that goal.

John

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.

• Proposed as answer by Troy Lanphier Thursday, April 26, 2012 3:24 AM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 5:14 PM
  • Hi,

Since you use SharePoint 2007, there are not many choices you can choose. To get this done once and for ever, you can upgrade it to 2010.

As far as I know, the limit for file size in SharePoint is 2GB per file. Actually, 200 GB is not a hard limit. To optimize your storage I would definitely recommend to have a separate content database for every site collection. The limit for content database is now increased to 4TB with SharePoint 2010 SP1 http://blogs.msdn.com/b/pandrew/archive/2011/07/08/articles-about-scaling-sharepoint-to-large-content-database-capacity.aspx

For best performance you might want to enable blob caching and/or use Remote Blob Storage to store the files on the file system rather than in SQL. It takes some work at first to configure things accurately, but after finishing these stuffs, it gives very little trouble in the future.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/stefan_gossner/archive/2011/06/23/sharepoint-2010-rbs-documentation-has-been-updated.aspx

Thanks,

Rock Wang

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Rock Wang TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Fadious Tuesday, May 1, 2012 9:50 PM
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 3:19 AM
  • Rock,

You've suggested RBS and linked a SharePoint 2010 article.  Doesn't SharePoint 2007 use EBS? 

A good introductory link for EBS is this one: -

http://www.metalogix.com/Products/StoragePoint/EBS-and-RBS-BLOB-Remoting-Video.aspx

There used to be an old storagepoint blog that explained the basics very well for EBS, but it seems to have vanished.  If I find it, I'll post it here for you.

Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/

Friday, April 27, 2012 4:33 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi

Thanks for the replies, I am actually using SharePoint 2010, sorry for posting in the wrong forum. But I think the answers are the same e.g. this really shouldn't ne done using SQL and maybe I should look at Blob storage and beware of the 200GB database limit. Possily looking at IIS media services.

As you pointed out both Blob storage and media services require some configuration work and what I'm looking for is an easy solution and if ti causes problems then I might have to look into the other two options.

Thanks for setting me straight on my options.

Fadious

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 9:54 PM