Move File(s) From One Site to Another -- User Has Full Control Permissions on Both Sites RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a user that wishes to move a file from one subsite to another. They are using "Manage Site Content and Structure" to select the file(s) that they wish to move from one document library . . . the problem is when they go to Actions -> Move they only see the current site that they are in, no other sites are visible. Could someone please tell me how to fix this? The user has Full Control permissions on both sites, but again they only see the current site where the file that they are trying to move is located.

Thank You!

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 3:59 PM

Answers

• What I discovered is that so long as the user has contribute rights on the Main Site, they are able to see all of the sites that they have access to. Once I set this permission the user was able to do the document move with no issues.
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 9:03 PM

All replies

• Are these different sites or different site collections?

Manage content and structure only allows to move between sites in the same site collection - not between different site collections.

Stefan Goßner
    Senior Escalation Engineer - Microsoft CSS
    This post is provided "AS IS" with no warrenties and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 4:10 PM
  • Stefan,

Thank you for responding so quickly. These are actually subsites within the same site collection. As the SharePoint Admin, I am able to see all of the sites, however, this user is not able to see anything but the current site from within the move function of "Manage Site and Content Structure".

Thank you for assisting!

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 4:16 PM
  • That indicates that the other users don't have the required rights to see the other sites - or they don't have the rights to see some of the sites in the hierarchy below the destination site which prevents enumerating deeper.

Cheers,
    Stefan

Stefan Goßner
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 4:33 PM
  • Stefan,

Please tell me what adjustments need to be made. The user has Full Control on both of the subsites.

Thank You!

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 5:02 PM
  • I think you have to look at the permissions in the parent sites of the subsites.
    Stefan Goßner
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 5:07 PM
  • Stefan,

Ok, what I just did was provide the user with full permission to the parent of the first subsite and now they are able to see everything in that tree. So essentially, the hierarchy looks like this and I am trying to go from Document Library 1 to Document Library 2 . . . . the only way that I see how to do this is to grant the user Full Control on the Main Site (not what I want to do):

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 5:20 PM
  • When you say the user has permissions on sub-site two, how are you confirming this?  By the member group they're in or the permission group it has?

I'd suggest ruling out the basics.  On the site that your user can't see, check what group he's in AND the permissions attached to that user group.   SharePoint has a habit of needing you to assign group permissions on the ROOT, if you've broken permissions AFTER the site was created.

Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 5:31 PM
    Answerer
  • Andrew,

Thank you for your input. To clarify, what I mean when I say that the user has permissions on sub-site two is that I have gone into the site permissions section of that particular sub-site and verified that the user has Full Control permissions set. There is no permissions group set for this individual, they are by themselves. The user is able to navigate to these sites and do other activities via the browser, just not within the "Move" window when you are specifying where you wish to move files to.

What I'm not understanding is why the user would need to be at Full Control on the Main Site in order to be able to move files between subsites that they already have Full Control permissions for . . .

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 5:46 PM
  • What I discovered is that so long as the user has contribute rights on the Main Site, they are able to see all of the sites that they have access to. Once I set this permission the user was able to do the document move with no issues.
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 9:03 PM
  • Hi,

I am glad to hear that you have resolved your issue.

From your narration, you have broken the permission inheritance on the subsites, so you need to make sure the user has appropriate permissions on the parent site(main site), so that he/she can read and write the subsite.

Thanks,

Rock Wang

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Regards, Rock Wang Microsoft Online Community Support
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 2:20 AM