none
Windows 7 pro Bitlocker encryption

Question

• Hello,

Can someone advise the steps to get Bitlocker installed and working on a windows 7 pro laptop. I just got off the phone with a microsoft support agent who said it is possible with computers on a domain. She couldn't give me any more info and directed me to technet.

Please share any info you may have 

thanks

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 6:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• Bitlocker is only available in Ultimate or enterprise in win 7

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 9:04 PM
  • Hi,

I’m afraid you cannot get BitLocker installed and working on a Windows 7 pro laptop. BitLocker Drive Encryption is a data protection feature available in Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 7 Ultimate, and in all editions of Windows Server 2008 R2.

For more information, please refer to the link:

BitLocker Drive Encryption in Windows 7: Frequently Asked Questions:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee449438%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

BitLocker Drive Encryption Step-by-Step Guide for Windows 7:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd835565(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to <b>mark the replies as an answers</b> if they help and <b> unmark</b> them if they provide no help.<br/> If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact <a href="mailto:tnmff@microsoft.com"> tnmff@microsoft.com</a>.

Thursday, August 25, 2016 9:37 AM
  • Hi,

We haven’t heard from you for a couple of days, have you solved the problem? How about the solution we have provided? We are looking forward to your good news.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to <b>mark the replies as an answers</b> if they help and <b> unmark</b> them if they provide no help.<br/> If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact <a href="mailto:tnmff@microsoft.com"> tnmff@microsoft.com</a>.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 8:54 AM
  • Tao,

Thank you for your answer. I thought that was the correct, I just needed to confirm, as I spoke with microsoft support and they said it could be done, but they couldn't tell me how to do it. 

We will look at using a 3rd party tool.

J

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 3:19 AM