none
2nd DPM instance Recovery Points Failing RRS feed

• Question

• So I have 2 newly created DPM 2012 R2 servers with the latest rollups, 1 here in our production Datacenter and 1 at our remote datacenter ~18 miles away.  We have a point to point link between the two, it's metro ethernet and pretty fast, sub 5ms latency.  Currently I am having a problem with the secondary servers backups.  At this time, The primary server is only backing up one of our database servers (I plan on deploying this to all our physical servers once I resolve this issue), and the primary backups work just fine.  However, the secondary server, which is backing up the primary DPM server and serving as a secondary backup point for disaster recovery purposes is failing at creating recovery points for the Volumes only (the system states and SQL backups have run fine to this point).  I have posted the error message I get below.  What's strange about this is that after the backups have errored out, I can go into the DPM monitoring section, highlight every failed job, right click and select "resume disk backup" and then everything works just fine.

Some details about my environment that might help - the primary server's backup schedule is as follows:

Retention Range - 15 days

Sync Frequency - 15 minutes

File Recovery points - 8am, 12pm, 6pm

Express Full Backup - 8pm

Secondary Backup server schedule:

Retention Range - 15 days

Sync Frequency - 24 hours

Recovery Points for Files - 8pm

Express Full Backup - 10pm

Error message:

Affected area: C:\
    Occurred since: 11/13/2014 8:04:03 PM
    Description: Recovery point creation jobs for Volume C:\ on DPMSERVER01 have been failing. The number of failed recovery point creation jobs = 1.
     If the data source protected has some dependent data sources (like a SharePoint Farm), then click on the Error Details to view the list of dependent data sources for which recovery point creation failed. (ID 3114)
    No recovery point was created, either because synchronization has not occurred since the last recovery point was created, or because no changes were found during synchronization. (ID 208)

Friday, November 14, 2014 4:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you click on the modify synchronization time, can you set it to synchronize to 6pm to allow time for it finish before the 8pm recovery point job runs.  Also need to ensure that at least one new synchronization on the primary is taken before the synchronization on the secondary.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Jason Tham Wednesday, December 3, 2014 7:19 PM
    Sunday, November 23, 2014 9:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For the file protection, try changing the synchronization period from 24 hrs to right before recovery point. Then monitor the synchronization jobs and make sure they are successful and transferred new data before the recovery point job ran.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, November 15, 2014 5:06 PM
  • Mike,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't seem to have that option.  I went to modify the protection group options (on the secondary server) and I only have these options.  Right now this group is protecting all the volumes of both the primary DPM server and the application database server, as well as the system states of both servers and the SQL database of the primary DPM server.  Do I need to segregate the volumes / SQL data / system states to get the options you suggest?

• Edited by Jason Tham Monday, November 17, 2014 3:58 PM
    Monday, November 17, 2014 3:53 PM
  • Anyone have any other suggestions?  I've noticed that if I take no action, it clears itself in 15-45 minutes.
    Friday, November 21, 2014 4:17 PM
  • Hi,

If you click on the modify synchronization time, can you set it to synchronize to 6pm to allow time for it finish before the 8pm recovery point job runs.  Also need to ensure that at least one new synchronization on the primary is taken before the synchronization on the secondary.

• Marked as answer by Jason Tham Wednesday, December 3, 2014 7:19 PM
    Sunday, November 23, 2014 9:20 PM