What about these features... RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I have started using PPS to replace BSM in my Operations Dashboard. I hit across the following difficulties:

1. I have a KPI. On click of the KPI, I want to link to the detailed report. I was doing this very easily in BSM. Now in PPS, I could not figure out how to do. Any guidance will be greatly helpful.

2. Alerts. I have alerts for few KPIs. This is one useful feature which my directors liked it. I am wondering why I am not seeing it now. If I could not get alerting working in PPS, I am in deep trouble for suggesting PPS.

Can anyone help on the above queries.

Thanks,

S Suresh

Saturday, November 3, 2007 5:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

1. There are a number of KPI properties that can be passed across to report items within a dashboard. e.g. KPI name, description, person responsible as well as any custom property values. These can be passed to, and subsequently displayed in, an SSRS report maybe? If you're looking for more detailed KPI metadata you can try hooking into the PPS web service and harvest information using the KPI ID (which is also a value that can be passed over from the scorecard via a filter link). Alternately you could use the KPI ID and query the PPSMonitoring database for KPI metadata.

2. Did you have a look at the link I provided to Russelll Christopher's blog in my previous post? I thought that may be of use as a possible workaround.

Cheers,

Nick

• Marked as answer by AseemN Thursday, August 13, 2009 8:06 PM
    Monday, November 5, 2007 9:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Suresh,

In answer to your questions

1.     KPIs and Reports are now separate elements in PPS. In BSM you would create a KPI and then define ReportViews within the KPI definition. Because these are separate elements now there is far greater flexibility in what you can do within a dashboard.

In order to get the functionality you need ensure you have created and published the appropriate KPIs (which will be embedded and exposed in a Scorecard) and Reports you need. Using the dashboard element you can configure Display Condition links on individual KPIs to hide or unhide specific reports based on clicking a particular KPI.

2.     Unfortunately, Alerts are not available in this release. To quote from a PPS Team blog post: Alerts in Business Scorecard Manager 2005 were dependant on the notification framework in SQL Server 2000, which has been superseded by SQL Server 2005 Notification Services. An updated alerting mechanism is currently a candidate feature for a future version or service pack release of PerformancePoint Server.”

I’m sorry to break the news that alerts are not in this release. For some direction on alternative strategies until the possible service pack release referenced above have a look at this recent post from Russell Christopher, it may be of some help.

Cheers,

Nick

http://nickbarclay.blogspot.com

Saturday, November 3, 2007 8:15 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response Nick.

1. This is a good option. But what I am lookng for is, I want to open the details of the particular KPIs in a seperate window so that user can analyze it.

2. Alert - Is there any workaround here?

Thanks,

S Suresb

Sunday, November 4, 2007 8:39 PM
  • Hi,

1. There are a number of KPI properties that can be passed across to report items within a dashboard. e.g. KPI name, description, person responsible as well as any custom property values. These can be passed to, and subsequently displayed in, an SSRS report maybe? If you're looking for more detailed KPI metadata you can try hooking into the PPS web service and harvest information using the KPI ID (which is also a value that can be passed over from the scorecard via a filter link). Alternately you could use the KPI ID and query the PPSMonitoring database for KPI metadata.

2. Did you have a look at the link I provided to Russelll Christopher's blog in my previous post? I thought that may be of use as a possible workaround.

Cheers,

Nick

• Marked as answer by AseemN Thursday, August 13, 2009 8:06 PM
    Monday, November 5, 2007 9:22 AM
  • Hi Suresh,

I think this could help you.

http://blogs.msdn.com/performancepoint/archive/2007/10/05/implementing-a-hyperlink-from-a-kpi-in-a-scorecard.aspx

In the redir.aspx page just chage window.parent.navigate(""{0}""); with window.open(""{0}""); to open in a new window.

Anil 

Monday, November 5, 2007 9:32 PM
  • Thanks Anil. This would help me for sure.

Thursday, November 8, 2007 5:43 PM
  • Thanks Nick. This information was helpful to me.

Thanks,

S Suresh

Thursday, November 8, 2007 5:45 PM
  • Suresh,
    Do you have an idea how to setup alerts on KPI  in PPS 2007 using SQL Sevrer 2005 notification Services?
    Friday, April 10, 2009 8:15 PM