side-by-side migration sql 2008 to sql 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I plan to make an side-by-side migration from version 2008 to version 2012 on the same server-hardware.

Planned steps:

1. On the server with the running SQL 2008 (as a default instance) I install a named instance of SQL 2012

2. Then I migrate the databases and other objects to the new SQL 2012

3. When the migration works --> uninstall SQL 2008

Now comes my question: What´s the best way to make my named instance to the default instance?

Thanks for your help

Hubert

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 7:37 AM

Answers

• Now comes my question: What´s the best way to make my named instance to the default instance?

Thanks for your help

Hubert

Hello Hubs,

Converting named instance to default is not allowed unless you use Uninstall/reinstall.

If it is default instance you can change its name.

For more details you can read this

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143799.aspx

Also make sure you migrate logins and jobs from 2008 to 2012 .

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

• Proposed as answer by Candy_Zhou Wednesday, September 11, 2013 2:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by Allen Li - MSFT Tuesday, September 17, 2013 1:31 AM
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 7:56 AM
  • Hi Hubert, one option is to perform an in-place version upgrade of your default instance of SQL Server 2008 to SQL Server 2012.  There is no way to change an instance name of an installed instance of SQL Server.  The article that Shanky supplied explains how to change the computer name, not the actual instance name.  In that example, you can rename your computer from Machine1 to Machine2 and thus change the connection strings required to connect, but in both cases you are still connecting to the default instance.  In other words, you are only changing the machine name portion required in the connection string, not the SQL Server instance name.

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/samlester

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by Candy_Zhou Wednesday, September 11, 2013 2:19 AM
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:06 AM

All replies

• Now comes my question: What´s the best way to make my named instance to the default instance?

Thanks for your help

Hubert

Hello Hubs,

Converting named instance to default is not allowed unless you use Uninstall/reinstall.

If it is default instance you can change its name.

For more details you can read this

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143799.aspx

Also make sure you migrate logins and jobs from 2008 to 2012 .

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

• Proposed as answer by Candy_Zhou Wednesday, September 11, 2013 2:18 AM
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 7:56 AM
  • Set alias on each client with this tool (already included in windows 2000 and up) C:\WINDOWS\system32\cliconfg.exe to point to a named SQL2012 instance.

After your step 4 (uninstalled default SQL2008 instance), install new SQL2012 default instance. Ensure you recreated all system db data to the new instance (logins, jobs, etc). Prepare a script to detach all user databases from names SQL2012 and attach it to new, default SQL2012 - very short downtime, do it in off-peak hours. Just before running the script, delete aliases on the clients.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:01 AM
  • Hi Hubert, one option is to perform an in-place version upgrade of your default instance of SQL Server 2008 to SQL Server 2012.  There is no way to change an instance name of an installed instance of SQL Server.  The article that Shanky supplied explains how to change the computer name, not the actual instance name.  In that example, you can rename your computer from Machine1 to Machine2 and thus change the connection strings required to connect, but in both cases you are still connecting to the default instance.  In other words, you are only changing the machine name portion required in the connection string, not the SQL Server instance name.

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/samlester

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by Candy_Zhou Wednesday, September 11, 2013 2:19 AM
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:06 AM