Your experience with Metalogix RRS feed

• Question

• Have you used Metalogix to migrate SharePoint 2007 To SharePoint 2010. Can you share your experience, issues you encountered. Do you recommend this tool. Thanks a lot.
    Monday, July 16, 2012 2:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Mayank,

Just to start, I do not know what the policies are on this board for endorsing a third-party product....

That said, I have been using Metalogix Migration Manager since the 2003-2007 migration days, and have used it repeatedly for 2007 to 2010 migrations. The tool has been evolving over time and is one of the better ones available in my opinion. I have used other migration tools, and would place this within the top two...

The issue with migrations is always one of complexity - a migration can be as simple as "move this site collection from farm A to farm B" or as complex as "move a subsite from farm A to farm B, promoting it to a new Site Collection, then migrate any running Workflows while retaining Content Types as defined at the subsite level".

What I will say is that this tool is technically in-depth - you will, once you install it, determine just how it is that you wish to use it. Once you have determined what goals you have in mind, research exactly what settings are required to accomplish the task - odds are that the tool has the capability, it's just a matter of finding it within the menuing system.

If you get stuck, drop me a line (email is in my signature) - I'll try to help, but every case is different.

Hope this helps (and is not an official endorsement, FWIW),

Troy Lanphier -- MCT/MCSE/MCITP SharePoint Server 2010 Administration -- Author: Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 Inside Out -- http://blog.sharepointcookbook.com

Monday, July 16, 2012 3:20 PM
  • Metalogix provides good tool for the migration process.I have used this for content migration from 2007 top SP 2010.It has web servcies copmponent which helps in remote migration.To explore more on this u can download a trail version and  play around.

Thnaks.

Pandey

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 6:08 AM
  • If you have most of out of box things on 2007, I will say to go with microsoft migration approach. It is good to migrate content using this approach. We have done it on 1-2 organisation and have good result!

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 6:37 AM
  • Thanks. Do you know a link where we can find common issues/errros encountered during migration using Metalogix Migration Manager. For instance, while copying a page I encountered the following error,

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Where can I look this up. Thanks a lot.

Mayank

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 6:03 PM
  • Metalogix is a great tool when we migrate from 2003 to 2007.

It is best in migration the content. 

for your error regarding to object you need to have ll the web parts working in new environment or remove the customise webpart from the page and try to do it again.

Regards, Aniket

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:21 AM
  • Hi Mayank,

Same as Troy and some of the others in the forums advise, I can advocate the use of Metalogix Migration Manager without having any professional relationship with the firm beyond that of a customer.

As Troy mentions in his detailed response below, you need to consider the specifics of your migration scenario: -

1. Have you got any custom web-parts, third pary products and so on?
    2. Are there any custom definitions or master pages?
    3. How intricate are your permission set-ups?

Outside of these tools, have you the additional hard-ware for a side by side migration, or can you afford the downtime for an inplace migration?

Migration Manager allows a point to point transfer and is platform / hardware agnostic.  I've never had a problem with the product and as noted elsewhere, the tool has evolved a lot over the last few versions.  The pricing will be subjective depending upon your data requirements but it's a good place to start.

Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:25 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Steven. Have a specific question,

I am migrating pages of Document Library in SP 2007 to SP 2010. The columns in SP 2007 are associated with one or more content types. The content in SP 2010 are different. How do I migrate data from SP 2007 and associate them with new content types in SP 2010. I am able to migrate without any errors (only warnings). But cannot view the documents.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:32 PM
  • As Aniket pointed out, no third-party app can install custom web parts for you. You have to take care of that first.

- cawood

blog |  twitter

Thursday, July 19, 2012 5:39 PM
  • Disclosure: I used to work for Metalogix

The choice of whether to use a partner migration solution is a larger question than whether the out of the box option will work. Many customers choose to improve their SharePoint information architecture or take advantage of new features as part of the upgrade. This saves you from having to upgrade and then run a whole separate project to re-organize or switch to new templates, etc.

There are good reasons why migration solutions exist from SharePoint ISVs--you get a lot more power and flexibility.

- cawood

blog |  twitter

Thursday, July 19, 2012 5:44 PM
  • Hi ,

I am new for metalogic tool, if any one have any documents please share it and what type of issues are facing when migrate data and workflows and custom web parts.

Thursday, June 11, 2015 8:00 AM