Problems installing KB958559 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit and have tried to install XP mode. I've downloaded the file "Windows6.1-KB958559-x64" but when I try to install it, it will start the initial prep, restart, get to around 97% and then bring the message "failure configuring Windows updates/reverting changes". The error code according to Windows Update is 80004005. I've been googling all over the web these past few days trying to find out what the problem could be. There were suggestions it was the Nvidia nforce drive management (I connected just one HDD and uninstalled the Nvidia control panel app but no result), problems gaining permission to add the installed icon to the start menu (I've temporarily allowed all permissions in the menu) and also that my q6700 didn't have virtualisation enabled in the bios (it does). Any suggestions would be gratefully received. There was a similar thread made a few months ago (below) and it was Comodo firewall causing the problem which I don't have installed.

Thanks

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprovirt/thread/60084d3c-ad5c-4818-a9c7-5dd4ed8ae58e

Friday, October 23, 2009 1:57 PM

Answers

• I've just formatted my HDD, installed Vista and then custom installed Windows 7. Making sure that the very first thing I did was to install the aforementioned update, I've now got XP mode working. I strongly suspect that the problem before was with my NForce HDD Manager software.

Thanks for all you help.

• Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, October 27, 2009 10:14 AM
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 12:13 AM

All replies

• I am getting the same thing with Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 10:07 PM
  • Hi,

Did you try to install it in Clean Boot? Based on my known, some similar issues are caused by software conflict.

Hope it helps.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 2:31 AM
  • Hi,

Did you try to install it in Clean Boot? Based on my known, some similar issues are caused by software conflict.

Hope it helps.

Yes I did. I have the upgrade version and did a clean install of Vista before doing a custom install of Windows 7. I had it in mind to set up a RAID 1 array when I was installing my Vista, however, so the Nvidia HDD software I installed may be interefering with XP mode install. I'll try and install the OS again from scratch.

Sorry for the delay getting back - I've been at my parents this weekend.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 5:13 PM
  • I've just formatted my HDD, installed Vista and then custom installed Windows 7. Making sure that the very first thing I did was to install the aforementioned update, I've now got XP mode working. I strongly suspect that the problem before was with my NForce HDD Manager software.

Thanks for all you help.

• Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, October 27, 2009 10:14 AM
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 12:13 AM
  • I have the same problem: Windows Vista => Upgrade to Windows 7 professional 32 bit, NVIDIA Geforce Go 7900 GS. And I get the same error 80004005. No clean boot solves the problem. But I can't do a clean install of Vista before upgrading to Windows 7. Now I have no idea how to install this very important feature.

added 9 hours later:
    after removing Kaspersky Antivirus the Update installed without problems. Maybe it was not Kasperky Antivirus, but I have no idea which other component could cause the problems.
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 9:45 AM
  • Hi!

The problem it's because this cmd "C:\Windows\System32\netcfg.exe" -e -c s -i vpcnfltr" .

You will get an error when the update try to install a new filter when you have more than 13 on my case...Like VPN Sof, Wifi...

Solution

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\{4d36e974-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\

Delete Something that you don't need (Export First) - You can delete for example Virtual WiFi Filter Driver

Install Update

Restart

Remember next time you try to install some network filter you will get the same error if you have more than 13 already installed...

http://www.resourcesforit.com/
    • Proposed as answer by Moskybcn Sunday, February 6, 2011 10:24 PM
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 12:18 AM
  • Hi!

The problem it's because this cmd "C:\Windows\System32\netcfg.exe" -e -c s -i vpcnfltr" .

You will get an error when the update try to install a new filter when you have more than 13 on my case...Like VPN Sof, Wifi...

Solution

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\{4d36e974-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\

Delete Something that you don't need (Export First) - You can delete for example Virtual WiFi Filter Driver

Install Update

Restart

Remember next time you try to install some network filter you will get the same error if you have more than 13 already installed...

http://www.resourcesforit.com/

Thank you!!!  It's the fix.
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 10:25 PM
  • The source of the problem is the maxfilter setting defined in registry. Now why cant Virtual PC modify the setting and increment existing value by 1... I dont know. Please look into the post @ http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/virtual-pc-kb-958559-install-fails-error-code/345df519-5a0d-43d1-84da-40bb0bae1631

Look for the notes by CampbellBenn user. CampbellBenn ... thanks for the fix

Problems are the escalated-unsolved situations

• Proposed as answer by -RP Wednesday, June 27, 2012 1:51 PM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 1:46 PM
  • It might work as well. But, why should I export, delete, and install (if required that I exported) .... Increasing the threshold works and it seems much simpler and safer.

Problems are the escalated-unsolved situations

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 1:50 PM