none
Purchasing DPM 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm talking to a third party IT consultant on purchasing a DPM 2010 for setup of a new tape backup system for the company's 2 servers.

The guy tell me that I have to purchase

1 piece - MS Sys Ctr DPM 2010 Mgr Svr ML Ent
    4 pieces - MS Sys Ctr DPM 2010 Mgr Svr ML Std

Though I dont understand why he has asked me to purchase 5 of them, as I only have 2 servers. he keeps on stating that I need 5 to setup.

Can anyone help?
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 3:44 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Details on DPM licensing is here: http://www.microsoft.com/systemcenter/en/us/data-protection-manager/dpm-pricing-licensing.aspx

However, you are correct, if you only have 2 servers you are protecting, that means at the most you will only be installing two agents, which means two licenses.  Based on the workloads you are protecting on the server that will dictate what kind of license you need to purchase.  

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 5:08 AM
  • Hi Mike,

thanks for answering.

Now the guy tells me that -

You cant get 2 license, you need at least 5 license to initiate the purchases.  

I really quite surprised.

• Marked as answer by ShibaInu001 Thursday, August 11, 2011 7:02 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by ShibaInu001 Thursday, August 11, 2011 7:02 AM
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 6:53 AM
  • Hi

I don't see any such restriction on the web, perhaps it's your reseller minimum requirement, but I'm in support, not sales, so I can't really say for sure.

You may want to call your local microsoft sales office to verify.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:18 PM
  • I think where he is at is the licenses aparently are sold through MS Open License and there is a 5 minimum (Everything I am typing is a guess)

You also need a Server to Run DPM on so that counts as at least one more (If not more than one)  (Purchase Server 08 R2 Open License)

So at minimum you could get to five by purchasing 2 desktop licenses at ~ 40 bucks to get to 5  licenses?

Grey
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 6:01 PM