Win Vista Ult C: tuned into E: - Loads default profile now RRS feed

• Question

• After installing Windows Vista Ultimate fresh and having everything working the way I need it to suddenly C: is now E: drive and I can't use a thing. It loads the default profile now instead of mine because it is looking for C:. I can't use anything that is exicutable because it again is looking to C: which doesn't exist. I have tried the repair option in the Windows Disk and it still doesn't work. bsdedit in the startup disk tells me the drives partition is C:, but really isn't. Anything that I can do all needs to be done from the command line because I can't run any programs (disk management etc.). I do how ever have a second hard drive setup for this computer running Windows 7. If there is a program that can change what ever needs to be changed from 7 that would be awsome.

Please help me, this is my newly upgraded machine with all my important files I need to get to.. Of course.

-Jake
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 6:02 PM

Answers

• sorry my fault i forgot it was vista
    for some stupid reason microsoft added an "i" to the file in vista.

change dskmgmt.msc to diskmgmt.msc

and it will work
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:01 AM
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 7:47 PM

All replies

• Sorry, no go. It wont let me change the drive letter while in the operating system and of course if I do this within Windows 7 it will only change the letter that it is within Windows 7.

"DiskPart cannot reassign the drive letter on a system, boot or pagefile volume."

Thank you for the suggestion though.

-Jake Sherlock
    Friday, March 6, 2009 2:51 AM
  • boot into dos command mode press "F8" on boot
    this should let you do it
    Friday, March 6, 2009 8:24 AM
  • I started into Windows under "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" but of course the command prompt is accessed within windows so it wouldn't let me do the change. Is there a way with Vista to get to what I know as the recovery console in Windows XP? Did I miss something?

-Jake
    Friday, March 6, 2009 5:32 PM
  • boot from dvd asif to install new os its in the bottom right "repair"
    Friday, March 6, 2009 7:37 PM
  • Sorry no go again. I followed the instructions and it asks to restart. I restart and it doesn't assign c to the drive and when you go back into the install disk it reconizes the drive as c drive again. When you remove the letter then try to assign it again it says "Diskpart has encountered an error: the directory
    is not empty. See system event log for details."

-Jake
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 2:26 AM
  • ok, its DOS time!!!!!!

goto start then run..it might be in accessories

type E:\windows\system32\cmd.exe and press enter

then in the comand window type

start /wait /b e:\windows\system32\DISKMGMT.MSC

this should open disk management.

you could also save this as a batch file if you wanted..

goto start and run

type e:\windows\system32\notepad.exe

in notepad type

start /wait /b e:\windows\system32\DISKMGMT.MSC

save the file as diskmgmt.bat make sure you change file type to any
    save it to your desktop

then goto your desktop double click the icon and it will open disk management
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 8:46 AM
  • So I tried both methods. I also went into windows explorer and double clicked each file themselfs. CMD.exe started without a hitch. diskmgmt.msc did not. Here are the errors I got.

This happened through the command prompt, the bat file and running the msc direct.

"
    'E:\Windows\System32\diskmgmt.msc'
    The specified path does not exist.

Check the path, and try again.
    "

I have backed everything up and will be re formatting and installing windows. I don't know if online activation will work again, I might have to call in but at least it is a bit quicker then trying this crazy issue.

I you do have anymore ideas please post them

-Jake
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 6:18 PM
  • sorry my fault i forgot it was vista
    for some stupid reason microsoft added an "i" to the file in vista.

change dskmgmt.msc to diskmgmt.msc

and it will work
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:01 AM
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 7:47 PM