Windows 2012 R2 server reverted the updates RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I patched a 2012 R2 server and it reverted the updates and did not install any of them (there were 14).  I now have 17 updates (total) to install on this server but the server will not install them and it says "No Updates are Available".  I tried to stop the windows update service on the server, renamed the SoftwareDistribution folder and restarted the windows update service,  then tried to check for updates on the server again and there is no change.  

I saw a post to do this: 

The easiest way to clear out the WSUS configuration information is to wipe out this registry key:  <tt>HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate</tt>

<tt>I'm a newbie .. is this a valid option to try?  Please advise.  </tt>

<tt>Thanks for any help!  </tt>

Additional note:  These 14 updates were installed just fine on 19 other servers. 
    • Edited by Reezie Reez Thursday, July 23, 2015 3:17 PM
    Thursday, July 23, 2015 3:15 PM

Answers

• yeah that step is routine, not an issue

• Marked as answer by Reezie Reez Wednesday, July 29, 2015 3:36 PM
    Thursday, July 23, 2015 5:47 PM

All replies

• are you actually leveraging WSUS or are the updates coming from over the internet?

removing that registry key is fine, u can make an export of it beforehand to back it up. it should come back after u restart the server but with this issue I don't think I twill have any impact

can you clarify what you mean between having 17 updates to install vs. no updates being available? are there pending updates or not? what does the update history show? did those updates all fail and nothing else succeeded after?

Thursday, July 23, 2015 4:36 PM
  • Thank you for your response. 

I am using WSUS on an offline network.  This particular server has never received any updates from this WSUS server but all of my other servers were successful.  My first attempt resulted in the reverting updates issue.  So to clarify, when you go to the WSUS console and click on "All Computers" and you click on the server, in the "Installation Status" column it says "17 Updates have not been installed".  The history shows:  Updates were installed:  Never .   Yes, all of those updates all failed and never got installed/succeeded after. 

I am going to try this document to see if it works.  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058.  What are your thoughts on going down this path?  Thanks for any help. 

Thursday, July 23, 2015 5:15 PM
  • yeah that step is routine, not an issue

• Marked as answer by Reezie Reez Wednesday, July 29, 2015 3:36 PM
    Thursday, July 23, 2015 5:47 PM
  • Thanks.
    Thursday, July 23, 2015 8:53 PM