none
DNS has multiple entries for DNS servers in DomainDNSZones and ForestDNSZones RRS feed

• Question

• I've inherited this domain and I'm having an issue with replication.  While digging through DNS manager I've found records pointing to an old DC and multiple entries for existing DCs in the domain.  Are they safe to delete?

Tuesday, June 5, 2018 8:36 PM

All replies

• Thanks for your question.

Please try the following suggestions to see if it could be of help.

If you confirm that the old records have expired, you can delete it directly.

Just in case, you can use aging/scavenging feature of DNS.DNS aging and scavenging allows an automatic cleanup and removal of stale resource records.

Enable DNS aging and scavenging:

Enable DNS aging and scavenging on DNS zones:

•  Using DNS administrative tool (dnsmgmt.msc), go to the properties of your DNS zones and then click on Aging
    •    Enable Scavenge stale resource records checkbox, specify the Non-Refresh interval and Refresh interval periods then click on OK
    •    Do a right click on the server name and then click on Set Aging/Scavenging for All Zones
    •    Enable Scavenge stale resource records checkbox, specify the Non-Refresh interval and Refresh interval periods then click on OK
    •  Enable Apply these settings to the existing Active Directory-integrated zones (This will enable DNS aging and scavenging for the existing Active Directory-integrated zones) and then click on OK

Enable DNS scavenging on at least one DNS server hosting primary copies of your DNS zones:

•    Go to the properties of your DNS server, go to Advanced tab and then enable Enable automatic scavenging of stale records check box. Once done, specify the Scavenging period (That is recurring interval for Scavenging on a DNS server)  and click on OK

Refer to the following link:

How DNS Aging and Scavenging Works

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/21724.how-dns-aging-and-scavenging-works.aspx

Hope you have a nice day!

Best regards,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, June 6, 2018 10:19 AM
  • Alright, I've enabled it.  Do I need to enable scavenging on the _msdcs zone also?  I have duplicates there too.
    Wednesday, June 6, 2018 1:53 PM
  • If you look at the screenshot you can see there are duplicate entries for _ldap server addresses for the 2 DCs we have set up.  This doesn't seem right to me.  
    Wednesday, June 6, 2018 3:12 PM
  •  If you have enabled  Set Aging/Scavenging for All Zones, there is no need to set it again.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, June 7, 2018 1:50 AM
  • Since you have enabled Enable automatic scavenging of stale records, the server will automatically clean up expired records(the default expiration time is 14 days).

Of course, you can manually clean expired records.

Hope you have a nice day!

Best regards,

Travis 

Thursday, June 7, 2018 2:04 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Travis

Friday, June 22, 2018 9:38 AM