OSD MBR to GPT, Enable UEFI/Secure Boot with USMT Hard Link RRS feed

• Question

• Is the following possible on a Windows 7 PC using a task sequence?

• Hard link to keep all users' settings and files
    • Convert MBR to GPT
    • Enable UEFI and enable SecureBoot (I know this can be done using tools from HP, etc.)
    • Restore users' files and settings that were Hard Linked

I don't believe the above is possible based on the fact that I've heard that you have to create new partitions when you're going to use UEFI (this would ruin the ability to use hard links), but I just wanted to double check.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 12:23 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

There is a new tool in Windows 10 1703 & ADK 1703 called Mbr2GPT.exe that can convert the drive without formatting it. It works really well! I haven't tried it with hard-links so cannot say if they are preserved or not. Here is a video on how it works.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mt782786.aspx

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

• Proposed as answer by TorstenMMVP Tuesday, April 18, 2017 6:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by tstone_mec Tuesday, April 25, 2017 8:11 PM
    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 5:47 AM
  • Thank you very much for linking me that helpful video.  I'm going to give this whole process a shot in my test environment and I'll post back whether it works or not.
    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 4:57 PM
  • I've found that hard linking the files and settings first from Win 7 using USMT, then installing Win 10, then restoring the files and settings, then converting the partition scheme to MBR to GPT using MBR2GPT.exe, and finally configuring UEFI and SecureBoot in the BIOS has helped me complete this process.
    Tuesday, April 25, 2017 8:14 PM