none
Email Alerts for project Dependency...possible? RRS feed

• Question

• All:

I know alerts are possible but I want to make sure since the customer I am working with has a huge schedule with several external dependencies and wants something(read email) when changes occur

########################

Is it possible to have an email alert sent out if a dependency for the external projects changes, which then affects the main project.

Example - Main Building Project/Project 1 - has electrical (depen-1) and plumbing(depen-2).  If the electrician's initial date of start is July 1, but ends up changing to August 1, this will ultimately change the Main Building Project's entire schedule (since it affects depen-2 and so on).  Is there a way to ONLY notify when the Main Project Schedule is modified due to an external dependency.

Is this possible and if so - can someone point me (or offer a solution - thank you in advance) in the correct direction.  I have searched but havent found specifically for external dependencies.  I believe it should be just an alert on an activity but I would like the communities help 

Thank you 

Kbwrecker

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 1:08 PM

Answers

• kbwrecker,

I see no one else has responded, (hopefully someone will), but I wanted to get back to you.

The macro I referred to in my initial response was actually written by someone (author unknown) who posted a question to the Project customization and programming forum (ref: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0d551145-d7e3-43e6-b0d9-044e37208edc/vba-assistance-needed?forum=project2010custprog). It would require modification to make it useable in your case. For starters, it is not set up to handle a master/subproject structure although that is a fairly simply modification. The biggest modification is in editing the HTML code that sets up the Outlook message.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by kbwrecker Tuesday, June 30, 2015 6:25 PM
    Thursday, June 18, 2015 3:16 PM

All replies

• kbwrecker,

This definitely can be done with VBA and I do have some code that was written for an interface with Outlook. However, I'm anxious to see if anyone else has an alternate approach.

But a couple of questions are in order. First, are you in a Project Server environment? Second, when you say "external dependencies", are you referring to a linked structure of a dynamic master file with multiple subprojects, or something else?

John

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 2:27 PM
  • Thank you for the reply

1) Yes, Project Server 2010

2) Yes I am referring to a linked structure (Master w/sub projects)

It's possible (from this article - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh767487(v=office.14).aspx) from non-vba methods.  I'm interested in dependencies (although it is just a task/activity) and also how others have implemented this

I'm also interested in your VBA method too, John

Thanks

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 3:31 PM
  • kbwrecker,

I see no one else has responded, (hopefully someone will), but I wanted to get back to you.

The macro I referred to in my initial response was actually written by someone (author unknown) who posted a question to the Project customization and programming forum (ref: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0d551145-d7e3-43e6-b0d9-044e37208edc/vba-assistance-needed?forum=project2010custprog). It would require modification to make it useable in your case. For starters, it is not set up to handle a master/subproject structure although that is a fairly simply modification. The biggest modification is in editing the HTML code that sets up the Outlook message.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by kbwrecker Tuesday, June 30, 2015 6:25 PM
    Thursday, June 18, 2015 3:16 PM
  • John: (or whomever)

Meant to get back to this sooner, just been busy with other things. 

I'm not worried so much about the HTML code but the modification for master/subproject structure; could you please point me in the correct direction for this?

Also I emphasize, IF POSSIBLE, is it possible to have this automatically/automagically done?  As in at the SQL server level - so I could generate nightly emails (or maybe after publishing)??

The VBA code only is if the file is opened, would it be better to have a trigger in SQL for a project when the "last saved date" was updated to Today?  

Just brainstorming here - so if this sounds crazy (but do-able) or possible but too much to do ... please advise.

Thank you for your continued help; I'll wait before marking as completed/answered

Kbwrecker

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 11:54 AM
  • kbwrecker,

I took a quick look at the macro in the referenced link to the Project customization forum. Since it uses foreground processing, that is, it operates on the current view, it should work verbatim as long as the master file is fully expanded. One way to insure that is to insert the following line of code before the loop looking at the ActiveSelection.Tasks. It will ensure the structure is fully expanded.

OutlineShowTasks expandinsertedprojects:=True

As far as setting this all up to run autonomously at night, I can't help you with that but I'm confident it is possible. The macro could be placed in an Open Event such that each time the master is opened, the macro runs. That could even be tweaked so it only runs at the first open of the day.

John

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 2:33 PM
  • interesting - we'll have to look more into functions/macros that allow that 

Thank you sir for your help 

Kbwrecker

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 6:24 PM
  • kbwrecker,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 6:44 PM