none
One meeting with multiple resources RRS feed

• Question

• I'm sure that my dilemma is discussed in some manual somewhere, but I haven't been able to aly my hands on the manual and my eyes on the solution.

I have a week-long meeting to which i have assigned a number of resources.  Each resource has a calendar for tracking his or her vacation.  the meeting 'task' uses the standard calendar.  What seems to be happening is Project schedules Dan's attendance to the meeting as scheduled and Mike is scheduled to attend the meeting after his vacation ends.  What parameter do I need to assign to the task so that Mike and Dan attend the same meeting at the same time--Project should slip the meeting until we are both available.  (assigning a task calendar would solve this, but I don't want to have to assign non-working times to tasks simply to accommodate everyone's vacation schedule.)

What am i missing?

Dan

Thursday, September 13, 2012 4:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Dan,

Bad Luck, this is a weakness of Project :-(

The only solution is a workaround whereby you DO NOT define holidays in people's calendars! Instead you define holidays as fixed-date (MUST START ON) tasks and then use resource leveling to accommodate the other tasks "around" the holidays. This is because leveling does have the option "Leveling can adjust multiple assignments on a task" and when this is checked OFF, the task (meeting) will be scheduled with all resources together as you request (rightly!)

Greetings,

Thursday, September 13, 2012 5:49 PM
  • I would also set task priority to 1000 for any tasks you don't want Leveling to move.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Friday, September 14, 2012 6:44 AM