none
Upgrade from windows Server 2012 standard to 2012 R2 standard RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I want to know how can i upgrade my windows server 12 standard to windows server 2012R2 standard .

I am having a server where windows server 12 standard is installed.(System is standalone not connected to any network)

I am also having installable media of windows server 2012R2 standard. Can i use media as ISO file in external hard drive and running this media will it be possible to upgrade from windows server 2012 standard to windows server 2012R2 standard.

Or i have to do any other changes.

Please provide your suggestion.

• Edited by Saurabh44 Tuesday, November 8, 2016 8:03 AM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2016 8:02 AM

All replies

• Hi

You can use the installation media of Windows Server 2012 R2. During the setup process, you will be choose Upgrade.

Follow the steps on the link; http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/data-center/tips-for-an-easy-upgrade-from-windows-server-2012-to-windows-server-2012-r2/

Then you should active with your purchased server 2012 r2 key ; https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn303416(v=ws.11).aspx

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

• Proposed as answer by Tim CerlingMVP Tuesday, November 8, 2016 2:25 PM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2016 8:31 AM
  • Ok thanks for you help.

abc

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 8:09 AM
  • Hi ,

Need your help

Can i install windows server 2012 R2 standard without booting the media. (as Windows server 2012 standard is already installed.)

I mean can i install by adding media to external drive (Pen drive ) and just clicking the setup file.

Please help me.

abc

Monday, November 14, 2016 8:26 AM
  • Hi,

I notice that you have posted a new thread in our forum. Please check the replies there.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 2:06 AM