Right-Click to add a selected text as a criteria into an existing custom search folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

Thanks for your time reading this. I have searched/surfed the discussion and found no clue to my question about outlook's search fold. I'll try to make my point short and hope to get some help from here.

Background: I'm a hiring manager of a department and I receive several hundreds of email/resume from an HR company based on an automated matching system (against criteria that I have set). And I collect all these emails in a folder. All these emails are with a similar subject: <g class="gr_ gr_779 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_disable_anim_appear ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="779" id="779">JOBTITLE</g>(Hiring Approval #) - CandidateName (For every job vacancy, we will need approval from top management to proceed the hiring process, so every job vacancy has its own approval #, and a candidate may be matched with different job vacancy). The message body is with this candidate's resume.

My Difficulty: For every resume, normally I skim the resume quickly for a few seconds then decide if I want to go deeper into it. For those ones that I decided not suitable for the job, I just delete it and go to the next. But the thing is, there are so many duplicated resumes/emails when the folder accumulates enough emails/resumes and I have to repeatedly delete some duplicated ones. And the worst thing is that I have done it so many times that I can already remember these names.

My solution: Since I don't want to repeatedly filter/delete those resume that I have processed before, I found the custom search folder may help. I copy the candidate's name that I don't think suitable for the job and set it as an advanced criterion in a custom search folder to filter it (if the subject of an email contains the name). And I found this really works to solve my problem. But the thing is, I have to do it manually by selecting the text (Candidate's name), copy it, and right click on the search folder, use the name to append another criterion (so there are many many criteria(names) in this particular custom search folder). Then every morning I just go into this search folder and delete all emails/resumes that have been filtered by these criteria (names) and then I know the rest emails/resumes are new candidates that I haven't processed.

My question: Is there any better way to do it with more automation? I am thinking it would be best if I can just select the text (name) and right click, then I can click on "not suitable" and all the above copy-paste-adding-an-criterion-in-the-search-folder thing can be done on the fly. Or I can accept to keep these names in an excel file and I can import it into outlook as a new search folder (or somehow update an existing one).

Thanks for reading this. Any comments/suggestions are very appreciated.

Fred

Monday, March 11, 2019 4:45 PM

Answers

• Hi Fred,

I am afraid it is not feasible to directly right-click to add a selected text as a criteria of a search folder.

Based on my understanding of your situation, I am assuming that you may consider combining the conversation view (A conversation includes all messages in the same thread with the same subject line. )and categories to simplify the procedure:

1. Create a custom search folder for categorized mail and choose a particular color:

(You may specify a shortcut key for the category.)

2. Enable the conversation view in the folder where all the email/resumes are sent to:

3. For the conversations which contain resumes that you have decided not suitable, you may right click the top of the conversation and apply the category you have set in Step 1.(The categories will be applied to all messages in the group).

Hope this can be helpful and feel free to let me know if I have misunderstood anything.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 9:33 AM