none
Sorting subtasks across subprojects in a report view RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm fairly new to Project and am having an issue sorting subtasks across subprojects. I'm using MS Project Standard 2013.

In my scenario, I have 20 project files linked into a 'master' project file as subprojects. 

Each of these projects have about 50 tasks (all based off the same template). Most of the tasks are grouped as subtasks under various summary tasks.

I have a couple of important milestone meetings that I'll call M1, M2 and M3. I have filters set up in the master project which filter only subtasks named M1, M2, or M3. This part seems to work well.

I am trying to create one report, with a table on each page. Each table has one of the above filters applied. After applying the filter, I want to sort the tasks by start date. This is where my problem lies. It appears that Project is sorting first by my subproject start dates, and then by the subtasks within the subproject. I want to just see all filtered tasks sorted in order, regardless of summary task order.

As an example: Project A started Jan 1 2015, and Meeting 1 should occur Nov 1 2015. Project B started in Jan 1 2014, and Meeting 1 should occur Nov 15 2015. Setting up my report with the M1 filter and sorting by oldest to newest currently has Project B's M1 sort before Project A's M1, because B's subproject started in 2014 which is earlier than A's start date of 2015. In my example, A's M1 is Nov 1, while B's M1 is Nov 15; A should sort before B. 

I made a quick example below (dates and name have been changed to protect the innocent). The report sort order should be Subtask B from Project B, then Project A, then Project C, based on the a-z sort date of start.

Can anyone help? I was trying to create a custom date that equaled the start date for a given task, which (might?) have then been disassociated from the subproject, which would have been good for sorting. I don't know enough about Project to implement this correctly. Needless to say I wasn't successful. Any ideas? Relevant tutorials? I've been Googling without much luck.

Thank you!!!

Thursday, October 8, 2015 4:15 AM

Answers

• Hi Michael,

thanks for providing your sample.

It took me a really long time to figure out what I missed in my sample – more than one task …. :)
    So the behavior is as you described. However, I have done workaround, adding a group by 100 years on Start date. Moreover, I adjusted the font size of this grouping header to 1. Not sure, if it a possible work around for you?

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support! !!!!!!!! Join the Project Virtual Conference 2015 from Oct 22-23, 2015 with a lot of support from the Microsoft Project Community - http://projectvirtualconference.com/ !!!!!!!!

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 3:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

the formula you are looking for is just [Start]:

But I am not sure, if this will help in your case. It is just working fine for me. I can use the Sort button, and it is doing what I expect.

I used Project Professional 2013, but Standard or Professional should not make a difference in this case.

Do my settings look different from yours?

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Thursday, October 8, 2015 5:11 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Have you tried un-checking "Keep outline structure" in the sort specification dialog?  That works for me in MSP 2010.

Thursday, October 8, 2015 1:20 PM
  • Hi Barbara,

This isn't working for me. I actually tried this while I was trying to figure it out earlier, with no luck. I tried again, and then also tried on a simplified version of my scenario (tasks and summary tasks within a project, no subprojects), but still no luck.

Tom: I found that un-checking 'Keep ouline structure' does what I want in a gantt view, but is grayed out in a report view. Really, I just want to display 7 tables with 7 different filters on one report / page, so I can click print and not have to set up my filters and sort and print 7 different times. Maybe I'm pursuing the wrong thing. 

Do you guys have any other advice that might set me on the right track?

Thank you!

Thursday, October 8, 2015 4:50 PM
  • Hi Michael,

are you willing to send your sample? On my profile there is a link to my homepage. On "Kontakt" (=contact) you can find my e-mail address.

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Thursday, October 8, 2015 4:55 PM
  • Hi Michael,

thanks for providing your sample.

It took me a really long time to figure out what I missed in my sample – more than one task …. :)
    So the behavior is as you described. However, I have done workaround, adding a group by 100 years on Start date. Moreover, I adjusted the font size of this grouping header to 1. Not sure, if it a possible work around for you?

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support! !!!!!!!! Join the Project Virtual Conference 2015 from Oct 22-23, 2015 with a lot of support from the Microsoft Project Community - http://projectvirtualconference.com/ !!!!!!!!

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 3:11 PM