Problem with paste shortcut. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I'm experiencing issue with CTRL+V shortcut - it simply doesn't work while using left CTRL button, with right one it is working. I've tried pressing those keys in CMD and ctrl+v should produce something like ^V but it didn't - every other combination is working. Left ctrl and v key are working fine separately.
    Monday, July 1, 2013 6:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can enable quickedit mode.

1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.

2. Right-click the title bar, and then click Properties.

3. Click the Options tab, and then perform either of the following steps:

4. Click to select the QuickEdit mode check box to enable QuickEdit mode, and then click OK.

5. And then, you can right click to paste directly.

More information:

Customize the Command Prompt in Windows 7

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff758104.aspx

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by tracycai Tuesday, July 9, 2013 8:52 AM
    Wednesday, July 3, 2013 7:35 AM

All replies

• To the best of my knowledge the Ctrl+V is a Windows shortcut and does not work in the CMD window.  However, Right click and select paste will work in the CMD window.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Monday, July 1, 2013 7:23 PM
  • Left CTRL+V produces ^V in CMD window for me.

Can you test with another keyboard ?

Also test in clean boot to see if this caused by one of your applications.

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
    Tuesday, July 2, 2013 1:57 AM
  • Left CTRL+V produces ^V in CMD window for me.

Can you test with another keyboard ?

Also test in clean boot to see if this caused by one of your applications.

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

It seems you failed to read the title of this thread.  Ctrl + V is the Windows shortcut to paste something from the clipboard.  This does not work in the CMD prompt and that is exactly what the OP states - IT DOESN'T WORK.

So, what is the point of your response?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 10:14 AM
  • Wow.

As far as I can tell, wirher did not expect CTRL+V to paste in a CMD window but was using this to test the key combination.

...I've tried pressing those keys in CMD and ctrl+v should produce something like ^V but it didn't...

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 10:25 AM
  • Wow.

As far as I can tell, wirher did not expect CTRL+V to paste in a CMD window but was using this to test the key combination.

...I've tried pressing those keys in CMD and ctrl+v should produce something like ^V but it didn't...

Title of post: Problem with paste shortcut.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 2:56 PM
  • Very good, but is there really any need to quote my entire post all the time when the original is directly above ? Or use caps and bold fonts ? Best to try humour instead before you bust a foo foo valve.

Again, as far as I can tell, this is the situation :

- in an environment where Left CTRL+V would be expected to paste - it does not work.

- in a command window where Left CTRL+V would be expected to type "^V" on the command line, nothing happens. (Try it)

- however, using Right CTRL+V in both of the above produces the expected result.

Despite feeling that it is you that has misconstrued the post, maybe I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last. How about you? Ever been wrong?

So the point of my first reply was to try to help wirher but in the absence of any clarification by the OP there would seem to be little merit in any continuing debate about the interpretation of the post.

(As mentioned by wirher and to save you the trouble, the image below shows what should happen when CTRL+V is used in a command window.)

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 7:05 PM
  • Hi,

You can enable quickedit mode.

1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.

2. Right-click the title bar, and then click Properties.

3. Click the Options tab, and then perform either of the following steps:

4. Click to select the QuickEdit mode check box to enable QuickEdit mode, and then click OK.

5. And then, you can right click to paste directly.

More information:

Customize the Command Prompt in Windows 7

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff758104.aspx

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by tracycai Tuesday, July 9, 2013 8:52 AM
    Wednesday, July 3, 2013 7:35 AM