none
CSS (webpage styling) not being read by IE 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I've been having some weird issues with IE10 today and I'm at a bit of a loss. This morning, I could not navigate to Reddit specifically (Page cannot be displayed). I thought that was odd since I had heard nothing about it being down. I recalled an issue I had years ago when I could not navigate to some sites. I checked on one of my VMs and sure enough, I could view the site just fine.

I ran an ipconfig /flushdns and voila! I could go to reddit again, but the page looked odd. CSS styles were not being rendered by the browser, although this issue did not occur on other machines. Later on, Reddit appeared fine, but now http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/ does not render the CSS styles for the page. When I check the F12 dev tools and click CSS it says "The Style sheet cannot be viewed because its source is in a different domain than the page".

I have tried RIES and the problem remains.... I'm not sure what's going on. TechNet library pages look wonky too, but the forums display fine. The pages I have the problem with display fine on another machine, also running IE10, so what could be wrong with my machine, that would cause the pages to not have style sheets applied?

I hope someone can help, because I'm stumped. Thanks.

Jon

Monday, September 23, 2013 9:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

@Robert

Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK) enables you to create, deploy, and manage your customized Internet Explorer 10 installation packages. Using IEAK you can create custom experiences for users and manage user setting after you Internet Explorer 10 to your organization.

Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) is a style language that defines layout of HTML documents. For example, CSS covers fonts, colors, margins, lines, height, width, background images, advanced positions and many other things, which offers more options and is more accurate and sophisticated than HTML.

Though various installation or configuration choices can prevent you from accessing certain pages, I think this issue is related to IE engine running CSS. In my own view, it may not be related to IEAK, but I’m not sure. What i did is just to offer another advice to customer. Besides, what you suggested may be the possibility of solving this issue.

Thanks for your understanding!

Friday, September 27, 2013 3:36 AM

All replies

• I thought I fixed it, but I didn't. I removed the windows feature (IE 10), restarted, added the windows feature and restarted again. That seemed to work, but a short time later other sites looked weird. TechNet was fine but Facebook wouldn't load images and this morning, wouldn't show any styling at all. I'm really stumped as to what is wrong with my browser or computer. I ran virus scans, wireshark, but everything seems normal
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 9:50 AM
  • When I check the F12 dev tools and click CSS it says "The Style sheet cannot be viewed because its source is in a different domain than the page".

That looks like your best clue.  Does that mean it is in a different security zone?  You tried RIES but maybe you have some IEAK mod's which affect that?  Since you have two cases that you think are otherwise identical I would try making two ProcMon traces and comparing them, especially on this particular detail.

Looks like the correct quote would start with "This" instead of "The".   ; )

Here's a page which may have an explanation (or at least some background).  (BING's top hit with a reduced phrase search.)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb735305.aspx

<quote>

Web browsers isolate pages living in different domains to prevent them from peeking at each other's notes about the end user.

</quote>

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 6:13 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Before you make two ProcMon traces, I suggest you test in No Add-ons mode to check if this issue still persists.

Also please press F12 to open developer tools, change the Browser Mode into Internet Explorer 10 Compatibility View or more previous mode and so does the Document Mode. and then the refresh the webpage.

Thursday, September 26, 2013 6:42 AM
  • Before you make two ProcMon traces, I suggest you test in No Add-ons mode to check if this issue still persists.

@ Pactera

My suggestion to use ProcMon took account of the poster's use of RIES.  Can you explain why you think NAOM will work after RIES hasn't?  Perhaps an IEAK component to the problem?

TIA

Robert
    ---

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, September 26, 2013 4:37 PM
    Answerer
  • I appreciate all of the replies, as it turns out IE was not at fault here. Surprisingly this was a DNS issue. The computer is domain joined and I have DNS servers on the domain. As it turns out, the other day after some reconfiguration of the Router, the DNS suffix was wiped out of configuration although the ip's for the DNS servers were still good. I popped in the correct DNS suffix and the problem has since ceased. What I can't explain is why other computers on the same subnet didn't have the issue, but thankfully it's fixed now
    Thursday, September 26, 2013 5:21 PM
  • Hi,

@Robert

Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK) enables you to create, deploy, and manage your customized Internet Explorer 10 installation packages. Using IEAK you can create custom experiences for users and manage user setting after you Internet Explorer 10 to your organization.

Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) is a style language that defines layout of HTML documents. For example, CSS covers fonts, colors, margins, lines, height, width, background images, advanced positions and many other things, which offers more options and is more accurate and sophisticated than HTML.

Though various installation or configuration choices can prevent you from accessing certain pages, I think this issue is related to IE engine running CSS. In my own view, it may not be related to IEAK, but I’m not sure. What i did is just to offer another advice to customer. Besides, what you suggested may be the possibility of solving this issue.

Thanks for your understanding!

Friday, September 27, 2013 3:36 AM